Howa/Savage Tactical

rec

Inactive
I am looking for a tactical 308 and considering the Remington PSS. In looking I have found that Savage and Howa both make similar rifles for much less. Has anyone got experience with the Savage or Howa? How well do they shot? are either comparable to the Remington.

Well, it doesn't look like your getting many replies, and when I first looked at your post the other day, I wasn't going to either, because I have no experience with the "tactical" models from any of these companies. Most of my firearms are huntin guns. However, I do own rifles by both Howa and Savage. The Savage 110 in .270 Win has been my main deer rifle for about 12 years. I bought the Howa in 30.06 about 1 1/2 years ago, just because I wanted something different. Both of these rifles are very accurate, and will easily keep every shot in the vitals at any range I have the opportunity to shoot a deer (six inch paper plates or gallon jugs out to 400 are good approximations, this is sitting or resting on a tree branch at unmeasured distances with a $100 scope, not off a bench or bipod with a laser-rangefinder and $500+ glass.) I don't know if this is any help or not, but if your "tactical" use means sniping then I think a Savage or Howa would work.
B

p.s. by the way, my Savage does have a black zytel stock, does that make it tactical? ;)

REC:
I have stocked many a barreled action in Howa 1500 (S&W, Mossberg) and find them really great. They are made from the Weatherby Vanguard spcifications, and after special bedding they are capable, .243 & 308 of 1/4MOA from a machine bench.

HJN

Rec, I took a Savage model 110 "Tactical" rifle on trade ( there is no such thing as a tactical rifle, only tactical situations and tactics). It's found a place on my accurate rifle rack, formerly occupied ONLY by SG&Y custom rifles and those of HS Precision.
I've just had the action blueprinted and the recoil lug modified, and will be taking it to the range tomorrow (9-5-99) to see if the groups shrink; currently they run about .379 average at 100 yards. Let me know if you'd like the mods list and testing results, it's a long list. Bottom line, your friends won't want to be seen with you if you get a Savage, and will despise you when you outshoot them with it....sorta makes it worth owning.

------------------
A single well placed shot will drop a target.
A rapid series of near misses will only infuriate.

Got this note from a frieng today, done with a Savage Tactical ....

After putting 5 rounds in one, ragged hole not quite a 1/2-inch wide and
less than 1-inch high -- but a good
half-inch to the left of the center, I adjusted the scope just 2 clicks
(each being a 1/4 MOA) to the right.

Joefo
Like a mirror image, the same ragged hole, about 3/4-inch high and less than
1/2-inch wide, moved
to the right far enough to cover the center of the target.

Back