Howa rifle???

Michael Priddy

I found a nice looking 243 at the gun show today. Price was right, nice piece of wood in the stock, showed little ware so I bought it. I already had dies and cases and bullets for a 243. My problem is I can't find any information on Howa rifles other than they are made in Japan, imported by Interarms in Va. They have been imported by Weatherby (Vanguard), Smith and Wesson and Mossberg. A friend thinks the action is a Sako copy.

Anyone familiar with this action?? Michael

They are a very solid gun for the money. I have a S&W in 7mag. and have always been happy with it. As to the action design I don't know who they copied. Howa did do some original design work though. They via the S&W super 1000 were the first to have a variable gas system that would shoot all 2.75 and 3 inch loads. This system also vented out of the mag. cap so the internals stay clean.

Michael:
The Howa is made from the Weatherby Vanguard patent. It is a Weatherby pattern not SAKO. Own one in S&W 243. Once bedded and floated it is a nail driver. Not to be cofused by the Air Force $300.00 hammer.

HJN

Thanks fellows. I will get a base and some rings this week and try the little beauty out. It has the best wood in the stock I have ever seen in a production line rifle. I wonder if this might be an after market stock? Anyway, if it won't shoot I will turn it into a 257 Roberts Ack. imp. :D Michael

Back