Howa mini action magazines

oldscot3

I was looking at them in Brownell's online catalog. The picture of the 5 round magazine was exactly the same as the 10 rounder. I know however, that often "representative" photos are used that aren't correct. Anyone know if this is indeed the case? Seems pointless to even offer a 5 round magazine that hangs down just as far as the 10 round version.

I can assure you a 10 round magazine will extend well below the stock.

Do you own the gun? I would 'guess' a staggered column 5 shot is flush or close to it.

My CZ is a single column. That single column 5 rounds,223, are flush with bottom of the trigger guard. A staggered 10 should be in that same ball park for a 223.

I say this with no Howa experience. A 5 and a 10 will be no where near the same.

I found just one image that suggests the 5 round mag is shorter than the ten. I guess Brownell's just used the 10 round mag image. I thought that was possibly the case, but was finding it difficult to verify.

I remember when a lot of high cap mags for pistols were just blocked off to make them 10 round only. While obviously not a perfect apples to apples comparison, I didn't want to pay $50.00 + shipping for a 5 round magazine only to have it arrive and find out it's a blocked off 10 rounder.

I don't own the gun yet... I'm trying to decide between it and a model 25 Savage. I'm not super stoked (do the kids still use that one?) about bolt guns with detachable mags in the first place, much less mags that hang down 4 or 5 inches below the rifle. A 5 round mag would be something I can live with if it's not much lower than the the bottom of the trigger guard.

I found this link for the 6.5 with 5 shot magazine:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/howa-6-5-grendel-package/

Now, I understand your concern. The 5 shot 6.5 looks just like the 223 10 shot. That is one ugly gun. All the reviews say they perform well and spec out below 6 pounds.

We are probably both too old. I bet there is not a single howa owner on this forum who had a 10 shot and added a 5. The 6.5 is new and a little fatter round. I think in the AR, a 10 round 223 mag will hold 7 or 8 of the 6.5's.

I know you wont like the CZ 527, but the magazine is actual STEEL and the stock is WALNUT. The mags hang down,but; look a lot better than that!

Yes, I'm familiar with the CZ. Bud's has a Lux, I could live with its magazine .

I'm also considering a Savage mod 25 , it's a little funky looking looking in its own right. Not totally all bad though, almost looks like an Anschutz. The Savage would definitely need a stock upgrade. The plastic one seems a little cheap, and I don't care for the thumbhole version. I thought about getting a plastic model and putting it in a Boyds.

Howa is my first choice though, it's available in a heavy barrel and I'm familiar with 1500s and Vanguards.

Back