Howa/Legacy 1500,,308

4runnerman

Hi all. Just picked up a Howa/Legacy 1500 in a 308. Can't seem to find much for reviews on them. Looking for good reviews( I Hope) on the rifle. I know Howa has a heck of a reputation for accuracy. Me being a die hard Savage fan am sure :Dhoping i did good here. All replys are welcome.

4runnerman there's always room for another "great rifle" in your collection. I have a Weatherby Vanguard which I like very well, And a Savage 110 in .270 win that I realy like so, heck yeah man sounds cool!!!:) (as far as centerfire calibers go). enjoy man!!:D

Mine is a very good shooter, sub-MOA with good ammo and probably could be less than 0.5MOA with handloads. It has a better finish and smoother action than my two Remington 700s.

My setup is the .308 heavy barrel in a B&C A2 stock with TacOps bolt knob and stock pack, Harris bipod, and a Bushnell Elite 4200 tactical 6-24x50 scope set in Burris XTR rings on an EGW 20 MOA rail.

Howa1500SCELP800600.jpg

You'll like the Howa. Howa makes the actions for the Weatherby Vanguard. They are not the same rifle as some think. Same action, but Weatherby uses different barrels, stocks. safety's and bolts.

I consider them one of the best buys in a rifle. They usually come with a cheap stock, but there are lots of aftermarket options if you choose to upgrade. Any stock designed for a short action Weatherby Vanguard will bolt right on.

I have a stainless Howa in 7mm rem mag that I put in a McMillan stock. shoots 1" groups at 200 yards with Remington factory loads.

I have a Howe 1500 with a heavy 22" barrel in .308. It shoots one hole groups at 100 yards all day long and one hole woodchucks at 350 yrds on a regular basis. I'm sure it is limited by my abilities:)

I used to have a Mossberg (Howa), bolt action .270. It would take out chucks at 150-200 yards w/130 grain Remington Core-locs. That is one rifle I kick myself for selling!!!!! :rolleyes:It was a quality rifle, through and through!

I have one in a .223 with the heavy barrel. Super accurate. A real pleasure to shoot. Great value for the money too.

Yep I am happy with my target .308

Best 5 shot group so far is .69" @ 100. The only thing I don't like is the cheap stock. When resting the gun on a bi-pod the stock touches the barrel. Doesn't seem to effect accuracy much but it does bug me. Not a pretty pic but...

P1080161.jpg

Beentown

I love my Vanguard in 270. When I'm having a good day, it will shoot .75 @ 100 yds.

I have no complaints about the stock but I did change out the trigger for a Timney. It was shooting the aforementioned groups with the old trigger but it was gritty and heavy. The Timney resolved all that plus gave me a 3 position safety that I really like.:D:D

I own two howa's. Out of all my guns none of them are as much pleasure to shoot as these and yes i do own all of the big three. Both of mine are .223 one is a stainless hogue stocked light barrel i use for coyote hunting and the other is a heavy barrel varmiteer that i use for putting the big three to shame at the range and love doin it with the cheap tasco scope thats strapped to it. You just joined a very intelligent group of people that have extremely good shooting rifles that didn't break the bank.

I recently purchased a Weatherby Vanguard rifle at a good price but I was planning on replacing the trigger with a Timney unit (or its equivalent) based on all of the horror stories I'd been reading on the 'net concerning the lousy triggers on Howa/Vanguard rifles. Maybe I'm just a lucky exception to the "rule", but the trigger on my new Weatherby (aka Howa) leaves nothing to be desired for a hunting rifle-and I'm pretty picky about trigger pulls.

Duddlewig, I replaced mine with a Timney because it had some creep in it. I took it to the range yesterday to test ammo. I have the Timney set at 2.5 lbs, and now my rifle's poi is 3 inches to the left, but very consistant. (too bad my loadings were'nt):o

Back