Howa 1500

Tatsumi67

I've heard good things about this, and since getting that Mosin, my love for bolt actions has been rekindled.

I know places to get a 1500 in .308 for around $400.

Good, Bad?

I have some priorities lined up for now, but if those opportunities dont present themselves, should I look into a Howa?

Bud's Gun Shop online...Most WalMart stores can special order them too. Howa 1500 are a nice affordable bolt rifle!

I have two Howas and think of them as the Toyota Corolla of the rifle world. Not particularly sexy but very reliable and affordable. For the extra $100 I think it's worth stepping up to Tikka (at least for long-action bolt guns) or a Savage.

Last edited:
And realize that the Howa 1500 is the Weatherby Vanguard. I own the Wthby version in .243 and it is a quality gun for the price you are paying! Will it win a beauty contest, no, but the action is slick, the trigger ok, and it shoots nice groups. The test target that came with it was about the size of a dime! And for $400, why not? Some rifles cost a lot more and get equal performance results. Yes, there are some creature comforts in them you are not getting with this, but when it comes to accuracy, it'll put the round where you send it.

Good luck on your purchase! Hope this info helps.:)

The thing that has me interested as well (as if I needed more reason to love a $400 .308 multipurpose bolt gun) is the potential for aftermarket mods and parts

any examples I should know about? pics?

I have a Howa 1500 Stainless in .308 with the Hogue stock. I like it a lot, it's a great shooter, and probably one of the best values/kept secrets in bolt guns out there. Here's pics of mine:

DSC02007.jpg

DSC02008.jpg

Mine looks identical with blue vs stainless, a Nikon 3-9X40, and a neoprene sling vs nylon. If you are looking for performance and notnecessarily the frills, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

cant go wrong with a Howa

I own a Howa 1500 in .308 and I promise you with this gun YOU GET WAY MORE THAN YOU ARE PAYING FOR. For starters its cheaper than a remington 700. It has a better barrel than a remington 700. For the price you won't find a factory barrel that is better quality than a barrel on a howa 1500. Stock out of the box it shoots as good if not better than a the Remmy. If your howa says weatherby on it, its guaranteed to shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards and the test target to prove it comes with the gun. Most of them will shoot between .75 and .5 MOA right out of the box at 100 yards.

There is a reason Weatherby choose the Howa machine and tool Co. to make their vanguard barreled actions.

Mine came with a Hogue Overmold stock ( read rubber coated fiberglass) that was pillar bedded, The gun shoots better than I do. ( at least for now anyway.)

You will not be disappointed with that gun. As far as aftermarket stuff is concerned. Both Wild dog and Bell & Carlson make tactical stocks for this gun.
The wild dog stock is a better choice but the Bell & carlson will get the job done and about 200.00 cheaper.

The folks over on Mel's sniper central sell what they call and entry level tactical rifle based on the Howa 1500 barreled action.

THIS IS A GOOD GUN FOR THE MONEY.

The Howa barrel is great... Is it better than a Remington factory barrel? That is debatable and would depend entirely on which Howa or Remington rifle we were shooting. Remember, no two rifles are the same.

I've got range time with both and I've shot sub .500" groups with my Remington 700 VSSF with it's factory barrel. This rifle is 1 year old so it's made with current production quality. Does the average Howa outshoot it? I would say no. Do SOME Howa 1500's outshoot it? Perhaps, but I think they are rare... Lets not get too Howa crazy now.. The last Howa I shot was new in box and I shot 1" groups with it, not bad for a .270.

The Howa 1500, like the Savage, is a great value for the money.

The Howa barrel is great... Is it better than a Remington factory barrel? That is debatable and would depend entirely on which Howa or Remington rifle we were shooting. Remember, no two rifles are the same.

I've got range time with both and I've shot sub .500" groups with my Remington 700 VSSF with it's factory barrel. This rifle is 1 year old so it's made with current production quality. Does the average Howa outshoot it? I would say no. Do SOME Howa 1500's outshoot it? Perhaps, but I think they are rare... Lets not get too Howa crazy now.. The last Howa I shot was new in box and I shot 1" groups with it, not bad for a .270 with a light barrel. My 1973 Mark X Mauser in .25-06 will shoot sub .750 on a regular basis with a light barrel.

The Howa 1500, like the Savage, is a great value for the money. To say that Howa makes a better barrel than Remington puts on their 700 is a pretty bold statement. Both of my Remington 700's are capable of 1/2 MOA and both have factory barrels.

I've got range time with both and I've shot sub .500" groups with my Remington 700 VSSF with it's factory barrel. This rifle is 1 year old so it's made with current production quality. Does the average Howa outshoot it? I would say no.

To be fair, I highly doubt the average Remington will outshoot your VSSF either. A fair comparison would be a Howa 1500 compared to the Remington 700 SPS. Comparing a heavy barrel varmiter with an HS Precision stock with a MSRP of $1,284 to a light barreled rifle with Hogue stock is not really a fair comparison. How does your VSSF shoot compared to the Howa Varminter Supreme?

To be fair, I highly doubt the average Remington will outshoot your VSSF either. A fair comparison would be a Howa 1500 compared to the Remington 700 SPS. Comparing a heavy barrel varmiter with an HS Precision stock with a MSRP of $1,284 to a light barreled rifle with Hogue stock is not really a fair comparison. How does your VSSF shoot compared to the Howa Varminter Supreme?
The 700 SPS is in the same price range as the the model Howa that comes with the heavy Varmint barrel.

I have a Howa 300wm, here is a copy and paste of my review:
Well, after much anticipation, and delay I picked up my new HOWA 300win-mag Friday. This was the one on Bud's for $387. It came with a Nikko Stirling Gold Crown 3x9x42 scope.
So, I ran home, gave it a good cleaning, mounted the scope, and boresighted it.

After 2 LONG days, I got to take it out today. Ammo of choice was Winchester 150grn Power Point(XP2).
I was set up on 100yds, First shot was low right but scope adjustments qucikly fixed that(within 4 shots). While the scope is INCREDIBLY CLEAR and sharp, the gradient system sucks, it gives you tool-less adjustment, and a 60-minute scale, but no zero. so essentially the scale is useless, unless you make 12:00(as you look down barrel) 0:00.

I did not take pictures of my group, because I was not happy with MYSELF.(more on that later) Once I got the scope zeroed, at 100 yds I was 1" high(which is where I wanted). The next group of 3 were all within 1.5" That was acceptable for me, to hunt with. I kicked myself in the arse, because I forgot the "lead-sled", So I cannot vouch for the guns actual accuracy. I feel that this gun in this caliber is shooting quite well. With a little more practice(my first time out with 300 win-mag), and a more stable platform, I have no doubts this gun will shoot Sub M.O.A.. But, because I was a rookie, and I believe I was starting to anticipate(around round 12), I was not flinching , as I had a spotter, but I believe I was pushing my shots. I also believe the gun was moving around to much on the bag. I decided to call it good at 20 rounds. All in all, the groups remained consistent at 1.5"...not good enough to take pics of
I also used the Barrel Break in method for the first time, I don't know if it lends itself to accuracy, but I'm an obsessive person, so now I can rule that out in the future.

And, all I can say about the 300 winmag is...Yeah baby, What a barn burner. I've shot a lot of guns, but the power in this round is wicked...I like it much better than my .06, and 7-mag. I'll have to admit, when it comes to Rifles, I'm a bit of a recoil junkie.

Now about the gun itself...What an AWESOME gun, especially for the price paid. This thing is easily on par with any Remington 700 I have handled.
- Fit and finish is excellent!. The only thing I don't like is the idiot stamp on the barrel, and Howa's logo is outdated, and looks "bubbly" aside from that, no complaints! Bluing is deep and strong. Little to no tooling marks to be found. Bolt face is wide, and easily controls feeding from both in the mag, and, and from a shell just placed in the breech.
- The stock is the Hogue Overmold(I believe) It has a 1" recoil pad that did an excellent job of taming the 300 win-mag. The blows wore on me, only because I am out of practice. It was a big shove, as opposed to a sharp punch
- The trigger is excellent, it breaks at right around 4#, I know that can be adjusted, but I'm not sure as to how?
There is absolutley NO CREEP, it breaks like a glass rod, and the pad of my finger felt at home there.
- The Bolt handle angle is give-or take. It fits snug to the stock, which is great for hunting, but a PITA for quick follow-ups.
- Drilled and tapped for remington bases.
- Leupold bases and rings were included.

If I had to make complaints it would be
- Float the barrel better. I'm not sure if they consider it floated, but the foregrip of the stock barely touches the barrel.
- Knurl the bolt handle.

I felt the need to do a little bragging, as these Howas are like a "White Buffalo". I hear about them but never see them.(or see em' and never hear about them). I believe Howa will EASILY give Remington a run for the money. The build quality on this surpasses my Winchester Mod70, and My Savage.

I have been on an 8 year search for the "perfect" 300 win-mag, and I believe this is it.

SO, in short, if you were wondering about the Howas, I'd say jump! I really don't think this will be my last one. And after a trip to the gunsmith, This thing could only get better

The statement was made that a Howa 1500 has a better barrel than a Remington 700. Which model of Remington 700 wasn't brought up in that statement.

Howa makes a very dependable accurate gun.
Out of the box they are the most accurate gun I have shot.
Yes I have 4 different variations 2 in 7mm-08 and 2 in 308. All are tack drivers shooting .75 MOA or less out of the box. I would put a Howa up against any of my Remingtons or Tikas or Winchesters any day of the week. For the money you cannot beat them.

Very similar to the Howa 1500 in many respects is the Mossberg ATR that I own witch has thus far produced 3/4" groups consitantly. I'd rather have a Howa 1500 though.

Shot the heavy barrelled 1500 with the thumbhole stock in .223 one day and loved it. 4 fairly quick shots all within 1" at 100 yards off a bipod, which I had never shot before. No waiting for barrel to cool (other people had been previously shooting it), no shots necessary to get used to it.

All in all, I was very impressed. :) Then I went online and researched the price. :D

Considering it as my next bolt gun purchase, that or a Remington 700 VLSS.. more expensive, but I am a Remy fan.

Back