Howa 1500 -vs.- Browning A-Bolt

oldcars

What do you guys think? in a Blued, wood stock, tapered barrel, .223.
Better action? More reliable? What should I choose?

No experience with Howa.

I had a buddy who had a Browning A-bolt Hunter in 30-06. He said it kicked too much on account of it being lightweight.

But the action was smooth. The finish on the stock was glossy. (not sure if that's what you want) The wood was beautiful. I liked the shape of the knob at the end of the bolt handle.

I had a S&W 1500 (made by Howa) about 20 years ago in 223. I think it was the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. But Brownings are nice, too. Which one do you like?

Right on Scorch. The Howa 1500 I had about 15 years ago with a factory Carbelite stock was the most accurate rifle I think I've ever owned. It was almost a one holer and I didn't even handload back then. The Browning will have a better trigger and will be very accurate as well. I consider the A-bolt and Tikka in the top 5 for accuracy among production guns. Being a volunteer range officer/spotter for "open to the public sight-in days" lets me see a wide range of rifles all in the same day. The A-bolt's and Tikka's never dissapoint.

I have the Howa in 30-06 and will have another in 308 in a couple of days. Nice rifles and I'm told that the new ones have an adjustable trigger. To be honest I'm not sure which I'd choose of those two I'd pick. I'd probably want to get my hands on an A-Bolt and try the feel of the action and the trigger. I'd probably add the Savage 10 10GXP3 to my short list of candidates as well just because of its reputation for accuracy and the trigger.

I have owned the Howa for a few months, but I am in the middle of building a house, and all my reloading stuff is packed away so I have not had the chance to really put it to the test. Then, a couple days ago a got the Browning on a trade, so I am trying to decide what rifle to keep. I would love keep both, but alas, building a house is taking all my money and I should sell one of them.

Howa has the performance and Browning has the "name". Go with Howa no question. I own one in .308 Win. Accurate, smooth bolt, tough, reasonably good looking, and the price is considerably less. I am buying another next week.

JP

Back