Howa 1500 super varminter review

Ultra12

I was reading few posts on this forum while trying to decide which gun to get next for target and as varminter gun. It was between rem 700 ( not to. Ig on it) savage 12 and howa 1500. I really dig the look of howa with bull barrel an vented stock. Trigger is better from what I read than the savage and rem. So I figure I ask guys on this forum. What do you guys think of howa? Would you get one if you were looking for another gun? Advantages? Disadvantages?

Btw it will most likely be in 243 unless I find a similar caliber at a good price.
Also what x scope do you guys have on yours ?

I have a heavy barreled Howa 1500 in .308 that I setup for long range target shooting. It has a Bell & Carlson A2 stock and a Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 in Burris XTR rings on an EGW 20 MOA base. It also has a Tac Ops bolt knob in place of the factory knob. It's a very nice way to enter longer range shooting for not too much money.

The fit and finish on mine is a little better than the two Remington 700 SPS rifles I have. I'm not sure I've found a downside compared to other rifles in the price range. The trigger came a little heavier from the factory than the SPS trigger, but it is adjustable and it breaks cleanly even at the heavier weight so I wouldn't call it a negative.

Howa1500SCELP800600.jpg

Howa's are great rifles, they definitely fly under the radar. I've shot a Varminter Supreme in .223 and was quite impressed.

I'm going to give "Best Trigger" to Savage, but the Howa's is no slouch either.

Of the 3, How's stock is the best (in my experience).

Any of the three will be a great rifle, but you can probably get the Howa cheapest of all.

Hey, read my thread here about some nice scopes on sale. I've built up a Stevens in .223 and the scope was going to be last since I've got a cheap one on it, but with some of the deals going on right now it jumped to next line.

Last edited:
shanzlik- i would love to get 308 but my longest distance at a range is 200 yards i have to travel to few hours to get to 600 yards. thats the only reason i am going for 243 22.250 or 7mm08

Love my Howa 1500. I have it in .223 with the laminate thumbhole stock. Fairly heavy at over 10 lbs., but it's a range gun for me, so no biggie. Extremely accurate with handmade ammo.

Back