Howa 1500 stocks?

hoytinak

Looking to fix up my Howa 1500 .308 a little bit. I'll be using this for mid range (100-500 yds) at paper, steel and that's pretty much it. So far I've ordered a Leupold FX-II 6x scope and an adjustable trigger from Rifle Basix (it's an older Howa before they came adjustable). So now I'm thinking I need a new stock as I really don't like the flimsy one that it came with. I was thinking a Hogue as I've got one on my 10/22 and really like it. If I go with the Hogue, should I get the full or standard pillar? Any other suggestions on a decent (less than $250) stock?

Most of the sub $250 stocks probably won't be much, if any better than what you have. I have 2 rifles that came with the Hogue stock. I have a replacement ordered for 1 and the other will be replaced ASAP. For target shooting and no hunting they may be OK. Especially with the aluminum block. They are heavy. Mine weigh 3 lbs or so and are just pillar bedded. I would imagine the aluminum block would weigh even more. I love the Hogue on my 10-22 however. It is just too much on the centerfires in my opinion.

I've had bad experiences with the quality of Bell and Carlson as well, but they make one of the Medalist stocks for the Howa. The Bell and Carlson Medalist seems to be a decent stock for the money, but the one I ordered did not come close to fitting my rifle.

If HS Precision makes a stock for the rifle I would look that way 1st. At around $350 they are over your budget, but are much better in my experience and worth the extra money. Not sure if they offer one for the Howa however.

McMillan makes probably the best stock, and I know they offer one for the Howa, but at around $450 are getting pricey.

I had fit problems with the Medalist on my 1500 300wm too. I had to bed it with epoxy, even thought the aluminum chasis was there (it was too low).

-tINY

B&C stocks are just so-so and not really a great deal for the money, Boyd stocks are heavy but OK and will need proper bedding for best perfromance, and Hogue stocks are heavy but nice. If I had my druthers for a stock on that budget, I think I would go for the Boyds or the Hogue.

Midway has both the Boyds and Hogue on sale right now.

Thanks guys. I really like the walnut JRS Classic stocks on Boyds' site and for under $100, that'll be well under my budget even after I bed it. :cool:

Back