Howa 1500 Compact Heavy Barrell Varmint

kiwicrusaders

I have been surfing the net and came across this Howa 1500 heavy barrell varminter with a 20" barrell. Bit it still weighs in at a heafty 9.3 lbs. How is it that this rifle eith 2" less than the Vanguard Varminter still weighs 1lbs more?? Can anyone confirm that this is actually the weight, clarify why it still weighs more that the Vanguard even though it is smaller? and if you think it is to heavy to go into the bush with occassionally?

Rifle here if u havn't seen it before.
http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/howa_compactvmt.html

I like Howas (I own two) and the things are a bit heavy. I have a the lightweight youth 20" .308 and it weighs every bit of the claimed 6.8lbs. Add 2lbs for the heavy barrel and you're at 9lbs.

A lot of the weight is in the stock. I like the Hogue stocks but they are at least 1/2-1lb heavier than most other stocks.

Is 10lbs for a hunting rifle over the top (10lbs after you add the scope etc)?
I lack hunting expertise but I wouldn't want to lug around my 9-1/2lbs (with scope) Tikka Varmint. Not in any rough terrain or for very far anyway. But you're probably younger than I am. I think about 7-1/2lbs would be about my limit for that but I'm 52. But at least the balance shouldn't be horrible with a 20" barrel. A bit ungainly, but not horrible. Heft one and see what you think.

I like the Hogue stocks but they are at least 1/2-1lb heavier than most other stocks.
You're probably about right on the weight. I just weighed my spare Hogue and it came in at 35.6oz.

I like the howa, and the idea of the 20" barrel varminter/tactical rifle. My own personal favorite is my remington 700 sps tactical, which also has a 20" barrel and the hogue stock. If you are looking into a precision rifle, do not buy that howa, unless you are going to replace the stock. I like the feel, and its semi-comfortable and weatherproof i guess, but the stock touches the barrel when used with a bipod of when its on sandbags, and its just too flimsy for my taste. The one on these rifles is the pillar bedded stock i believe, but if its the full bedded one, id buy it.

The review on my rifle can be found here:http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

it tells about the stock towards the bottom...however, it did get a couple good groups =]

The Howa is heavy but really shoots well in 223 or 308.

Reliable and functional...get the trigger adjusted and will out shoot the Rem 700 in my field on the range testing.

Back