Howa 1500 combo?

Stillhunter

I,ve been looking at a new Howa 1500 Lighting combo,300 win mag with 3x9x42 scope,for less than $400. Is this a good deal or is this Howa,s version of the Rem 710?

I own and shoot a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WBY. The factory target is 7/10", and I'm getting very close to this. I and many other experienced shooters consider the Howa/ Vanguard the best value in firearms on the market today. The Rem 710 doesn't begin to compare to the quality of the Howa rifles. The Rem 710 has a pressed barrel receiver and is cost cut all the way. The Howa has a solid bolt and has evolved from a SAko design aquired by Roy Weatherby, to market a more affordable rifle. When the original contractor couldn't meet production Roy looked overseas and found Howa was just what he needed. IMO the Howa/ Vanguard can only be surpassed in quality by rifles over twice the price. I have owned Rem 700's, Savage 110's, and Ruger 77 and the Howa is as accurate and reliable, actually more accurate than any, other than the Savage, that I have owned. I am about to do a trigger swap on mine, will be installing a Timney trigger soon, only because I bought mine before Howa upgraded their triggers, not that the trigger on mine is bad, I just love to play with things. May do the Hogue stock swap too, to see if I can get 7/10" like the factory target, I get 1-1 1/2" groups routinely, as is.

Thumbs up on the Howa. They are proving themselves not only in the field but also on the range out shooting many rifles 2 to 3 times their cost. I'd buy a Howa sporter long before a Remington 700.

J.

I have a Howa 1500 Thumbhole Varmint 223 Rem rifle. It shot .75 inch five shot 100 Yd groups out of the box. After glass bedding the action with about two inches of the barrel, the rest of the barrel is free floated, and adjusting the trigger down to about three pounds ,it has shot 0.5 inch 100 Yd groups. I own other brands of varmint rifles, the Howa rifle has ben my best buy. I also have a Weatherby Vanguard rifle which is the Howa 1500 barreled action in a Weatherby stock , its a 7MM Rem. It is also my best buy big game rifle, got it at Wal Mart on sale. Very nice wood . It shoots under one inch groups at 100 Yds. If I should get an other rifle it would be a Howa 1500 or a Weatherby Vanguard.

I own two Howas. Good solid if slightly heavy rifles. Well made and reliable and plenty accurate for their intended use - roughly 1-1.5" at 100yds. Newer ones have an somewhat adjustable trigger that come out of the box at a crisp 4lbs and can be adjusted down to 3lbs. Other than weight there are no negatives.

The bundled scope is the Chinese built Nikko Stirling Nighteater and I'd rate it as roughly the equivalent of the entry level Bushnell Trophy. Plenty usable until you can afford better.

Howas are great rifles. I have a stainless/Hogue one in .308WIN, and it shoots 1 MOA. I didn't get the scope combo, I put my own on, so I can't comment on that...

I own 2 .270win. one howa and a weatherby. they both shoot wonderfully.
was gonna get the .300 wby. but what in TEXAS needs to be shot with that.

Back