Howa 1500 300 win mag

Im thinking about putting a simmons 44 mag scope in the 6x21x44 power on it. My simmons 4x12x40 is holding up excelent on it and stays zeroed awesome. This is a long range weopon so I want to put a long range scope on it.

Cool, I like Howas. They usually shoot really well. Shot a Varminter Supreme in .223 and I easily had 4 shots in an inch at 100 yards.

But are you looking for advise on the scope? I'm not sure what the purpose of your post is. If that's the case, I would have to disagree that the .44 Mag is a long range scope. My dad's .30-06 has a Simmons Aetec and I wouldn't call it a long range scope. We've only put about 50 rounds through it, we'll see how it holds up.

I had a Pro50 on my .30-06 and it quit holding zero after about 300-350 rounds. Hopefully mine was the exception, but I haven't boughten one since.

Not trying to bad mouth Simmons because I know some people have really good luck with them. I would just hate for you to spend money on something and think you're getting something else.

Welcome to the forum!

The reason

Im posting is I want a higher power scope that I can see the flies buzzing on the ground hog from 300 yrds. I want this scope on my 300 win mag and wanted to know if a simmons will hold up. I will look into aetec. I shoot only about 120 rounds a year hunting and target shooting.

The ONLY Simmons I've ever seen that could consistently hold up to big pounding is the Aetec.

+4..........or 3 anyway........

I bought 4 Aetecs within the first year they came out (early or mid 90's?). All were made in the Phillipines. One has been on a 7mm STW, one on a 300 WBY, and one on a 30-338. All of these rifles have fairly significant recoil and they have held up fine.

BTW the forth one is still in the box.

Now for some internet hearsay........I read in one post somewhere (lord knows where) that the later Aetecs were built somewhere other than the Phillipines, and the quality was not on par with the earlier ones. Have no idea if this is true or not, but all mine were early ones and say Phillipines on them.

It sounds to me like you have the power you need already. On a warm day the mirage waves become real bad at long ranges with more than about 12 power. If you want to see better at those distances get better glass. Ziess, Leopold or Vortex would be my choices for a view without distortion. Vortex has a pretty good warranty, forever, for any reason, unconditional. Any problems send it in they repair or replace, no hassle.

Buy once, cry once.

You can do better than Simmons. A 3-9X scope is more than enough magnification for any range you will shoot a 300 mag in a hunting situation. A quality scope from Leupold or Zeiss in the 3-9X range will be twice the scope for about the same money as a cheap scope in the higher magnifications.

300winshooter said
Im thinking about putting a simmons 44 mag scope in the 6x21x44 power on it.

Ndking1126 said
I would have to disagree that the .44 Mag is a long range scope.

I'm wondering how you would disagree that a scope with 6x21 power is not a long range scope? :confused:
Actually for a cheap scope the simmons 44mag has a good reputation and was built in the phillipines kenko plant along with certain nikon and weaver models. So it's not an absolute piece of junk.
If I were you I would follow the advise of Wyncollector and look into a nitrex scope. You can get them at half price closeout right now. Like he said they are rebranded weaver grandslam and superslam models which are really really good scopes. As far as the scope power goes I say if you want a long range scope, it makes scense on a long range .300 win mag so go for it. A 6x20 power is a huge scope but lot's of people use them for long range hunting. Just remember when it comes down to decision time make your decision based on what you want, not what we online forum members tell you to get.

I'm wondering how you would disagree that a scope with 6x21 power is not a long range scope?

My dad's is up to 10x and at 200 yards it already was starting to show that the glass isn't all that clear. Certainly it was useable, I'm not trying to say every single rifle needs a $400 or better scope. It's my experience when you get into the really high magnification of a scope line.. say 21x, the lenses are even a little less clear then a standard magnification. I also found his reticle to be too think for long range work. I think the higher magnification Aetecs have have adjustable objectives (my dad's didn't), but if they don't that would be another reason.

I wouldn't consider 300 yards "long range". At the time of my post, he had not put a distance on it. I guess I could have asked what he meant by that, but if 300 yards is all he plans on shooting, I bet it would be fine. I shoot 300 yards with a ridiculously old Bushnell 3-9x and it works. Definitely have to be conscious of the parralax, but in the end I can do it. I will replace it just as soon as I get the funds though!

Just remember when it comes down to decision time make your decision based on what you want, not what we online forum members tell you to get.

I agree 100%. You are paying the bill, not me. I'm just relaying my experiences to help you make an informed decision.

Ndking, oh I get you now! :) You used one that has clarity issues at higher power settings. Yeah sometimes a cheap high power scope just makes a really big and clunky 6x9 power scope because anything over 9 or 10x is blurry, lol. I had okay luck with a phillipines made simmons whitetail classic 6.5x20 once. I got it onsale at midway for $100. I think they have had them on clearance for years and still do. They are decent and you arent out a ton of money if you don't like it. Since I got the feeling the OP is trying to save money, other cheap high power scopes guys have been raving over are mueller, and lower models by swift, and vortex. I don't have personal experience with these three though but I would say that most of the good lower dollar scope reviews I am seeing are regarding mueller scopes. But in my opinion the absolute best buy right now are on nitrex by weaver scopes. These are excellent scopes that can be had for litteraly half off right now. For $350 you can get a $700 super slam scope. If I wasn't on work leave because of major knee surgery right now I think I would be buying some of these from natchez and optics planet. Ndking thanks for the clarification!

I have found that on high power scopes, the A/O feature helps a lot. Not only does it help with parallax, it also helps a LOT with focus. With a few exceptions, my scoped rifles now carry scopes that have A/O.

Back