Howa 1500 300 win mag

just picked one up with a simmons 4x12x40 8 point scope. Ran some factory amo through it. Winchester super x's and remington core loks both 180's. My groups from 215 yrds are under an inch. I sighted in at 2.5 inches high at 100 yrds. How far can I get out there before worrying about bullet drop. I will be just hunting deer and hogs and maybe bison with this gun.

The Howa is an underrated and underappreciated rifle. It is a 300 yard rifle with minimal or no holdover.

Nice

This thing just shooting easy. I can easily put without even trying 3 shots inside a quarter from 100 yrds. I never had a gun so accurate. I got it with mounts brand new scope and it was barley used for 290 bucks.

Two inches high @100 yards will put you on the Xhairs @235-240 and around 6" low past 300 depending on bullet shape with the Super X dropping more than the Rem. I've gone as much as 3 1/2" high @ 100 setting up for elk hunting.

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard, 300WBY, five years ago. I have owned many other rifles, Rem, Marlin, Ruger, Interarms Mauseer, MkV. I am delighted with the quality and solidity of the Howa-Vanguard. The factory target is under .7", as I browsed rifles I asked to see the target and decided then that I would not find more rifle for the money.

I reload for magnums, 340WBY, and 300WBY so I like a solid platform, solid bolt, integral recoil lug, vented bolt. Rem, Savage, Browning, Tikka don't have these features, and while I'm sure that they are as strong as they need to be, I prefer them overengineered.

The factory target was under .7", I have gotten pretty close to that with my reloads and factory ammo, about .8" 3 shot group. I think I can improve with a better trigger, so am ordering a Timney trigger. The triggers in the newer Howas and Vanguards are said to be better than the triggers of five years ago.

I think you have made an excellent choice of rifles and chamberings. The 300 WM will work on anything in North America. Not a bench rifle, but a great hunting rifle, good luck!

Back