Folks: I have wasted the money trying a
'no gunsmith' scope mount for an Ishapore
2A No1 MkIII. Now I am wondering how a
gunsmith would attach a sturdy and straight
scope mount. Are there 'blanks' available
such that the smith just has to drill and
tap the receiver? Or does the smith have to
fabricate the mount from scratch? Any idea
who could do this in the Austin TX area?
Any idea of ballpark price?

Thanks, DanM

DanM, there's a couple of different ways to do it. Depending on what the customer wants. The simplest is to shape the receiver like a Rem. 30, 721 or Win. 70 and use Weaver top mounts. But you can take a flat base like a single piece for a Marlin 336 and mill it to work. Also Williams Guide Line sells a side mount I believe. George

Gun Parts Corp has a good sale on Weaver mounts. A pair of Weaver #11 bases (for Enfield receiver cut down like Remington 30, Mossberg 810, RM7; Rem. 30,720; Savage 40,45; Western Field 730; White all receivers) will run you $3.50 there (plus shipping, of course).

Leupold also makes blank bases (gunsmithing bases), as do other manufacturers. I'm thinking about going this route on my sporterized M1917 Enfield. I just don't like the aluminum Weaver mounts.

Does anyone know about how much having the blank bases milled to match my reciever will cost?? Any smiths out there willing to quote me a price?

Hi, George and Danger Dave,

Wrong rifle. The "Enfield" Gun Parts has mounts for is the Pattern 1914 or U.S. Model 1917 and the Model 1917 clone, the Remington 30.

Danm is talking about an SMLE type rifle.

There used to be side mounts made for that rifle. I don't have my Brownell's book handy, but I think they are still made. At least one kind required removal of the clip guide, though.

Jim

Back