How To Use a Lee Bullet Sizing Kit On a Progressive Press

oregon loader

I recently started loading for my son's 40 S&W and picked up a Lee bullet sizing kit. The ram that pushes the bullet through the sizing die won't fit in the shell plate of my RCBS Ammo-Master progressive press. My fix for this is to fill a fired 40 S&W case half full of epoxy putty, then insert a fired .223 case, neck down, into the 40 S&W case. I then worked some putty into the small gap between the two cases and let the putty harden up. I now have a homemade ram that fits in my shell plate. I disconnect the indexing rod of the Ammo-Master to prevent the ram from rotating out of position. Should work for other calibers.

Attachments

• DSCF3625 (2).JPG
    DSCF3625 (2).JPG
    677.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

That's a good, simple fix. Some of us would have bought a $4000 lathe and turned our own, longer ram. But hey; we all have our own priorities. ;)

When my wife bought me the RCBS progressive(many years ago), I gave my RCBS Jr. to a friend. I've regretted that on more than one occasion, but what the hell, he needed a press to get started in reloading, and I've managed to get by.

When my wife bought me the RCBS progressive(many years ago), I gave my RCBS Jr. to a friend. I've regretted that on more than one occasion, but what the hell, he needed a press to get started in reloading, and I've managed to get by.

That was a good and generous call.

Back