How to travel with firearms?

P5 Guy

How would I be able to drive with my travel tailer and firearms from the lower 48 to Alaska? Can I drive through Canada this way? Are there ferries that go around Canadian territory? Or am I stuck buying guns from Wildalska's gun shop?

I know that there will be problems with Canada. I don't want to fly and as of now that's the only way I can think of to get from here, Tampa, to Alaska. We are going to be traveling with a trailer as living accommodation and I'd like to have personal protection as well as maybe some hunting. So what can I do?

lets try using the actual laws and not a bunch on misinformation

http://panda.com/canadaguns/ is a good site to discover the actual laws regarding transporting firearms into/through Canada. Basically you have to have firearms that meet their approval (no machine guns etc.) then you make an application for a transport permit that list all the make, model and serial numbers. You can pay for the permit when you cross into Canada. The permit is good for 60 days and it allows you to enter Canada more than once so you can return from Alaska using the same permit.

You are restricted as to how you transport your firearms. For example you will not be carrying a loaded pistol next to you on the seat or on your person.

I constantly read all the misinformation posted by folks who have never crossed the border but who know a friend, whose friend had an acquaintance that read something on the Internet. It not a big deal to comply with the Canadian requirements. Just take time and read through the pages on the site I listed.

You can take the ferry but it very expensive and you'll miss a great adventure traveling on the Alcan from Dawson to Beaver Creek in Canada. Save the ferry until you feel like your an old geezer who can't do things without a nanny. For the most part the stories about the road are exaggerations of the truth by a factor of ten. I've driven the Alcan (Alaska Canadian Highway about 1,200 miles) a number of time these last three years and always love the drive or ride on my Harley. I'll be going both ways from Alaska to the lower 48 and return again this summer. Gas is very spendy, people are friendly restaurants are reasonable and distance between cities on the Alcan are in the 200 mile range. The drive is spectacular and you might see some great critters along the way. Last year my wife and I saw our first bobcat playing on the side of the road. Seeing moose, bear, sheep, deer, or goats is all part of the drive.

I think toybox hit it right... contact Canada and find out

what you need to do. I bet it's not that big a deal, kind of like declairing a gun in your check in luggage on a flight.

sounds like a fun trip... enjoy.

toybox99615, One learns one's limits with geezerhood. I can't take offense with the truth.
We've got some time yet to make plans for this little trip. Thanks to all for the info. There is a lot to read in the link provided.

For more info on your trip planning

Well if you need more direct info on the trip a great reference is The Milepost. It cover the Alcan Highway and most of the roads leading to it. It should be available at Amazon.com

Fro experience of dealing with lots of folks who have made the trip I'll recomend you plan at least a three day segment of your trip for going up and back on the Alcan segment. If you have time one of the greatest views I know of is The Top of The World Highway. Its dirt for 120 miles but fantastic scenery is worth the time to make the drive.

Back