how to transfer weapon out of state

I am a North Carolina resident but currently living in New Jersey for the most part. There is a shotgun in NJ for sale. Is there anyway to transfer the weapon through a FFL here? Does it have to be sent to a NC FFL? Any help would be great

Rifles and shotguns can be purchased from a FFL in any state provided it is legal for you to have it at both point of sale (NJ) and state of residence (NC). If it is a purchase from a private person, take them and the shotgun to the local FFL to do the transfer.

If, and I'm sure they don't, the powers that be in N.J. allow

face to face sales of long guns to residents of New Jersey then as I read the ATF rules you can buy the shot gun straight out. While you reside in N.J. you are a resident...there is no requirement you have a D.L., voters registration or what ever....

Then again the simplest way is to pay them for it and have them ship it to a FFL near your N.C. home and go and pick it up there.

If he buys it for delivery in New Jersey, then he needs a NJ FOID, and make all the silly applications and obtain the permits NJ requires. NJ is gun owner Siberia.

the gun is from a registered NJ resident and i would want to take it back to NC without NJ registration if possible. my Drivers license is NC as is my residency

the gun is from a registered NJ resident and i would want to take it back to NC without NJ registration if possible. my Drivers license is NC as is my residency

No can do without going from NJ dealer to NC dealer. You cannot take delivery in NJ. I can't stress that part enough.

My first point was I don't know or even want to know N.J. laws

but from how I understand the ATF web sight... (change the state to one I understand) if you are say living in S.C. ...say your work has temporarily moved you here for a month or two...then you can legally buy a gun from a resident of S.C. if both of you can legally own the gun....there is no need for a FFL. Even though you do not have a S.C. D.L. and are not 'registered' in S.C. your are a resident of S.C. while you live here. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but also show me where in the long list of ATF rules it defines what a 'resident' of a state is.

Each state sets their own requirements for residency, not ATF. All ATF does is state things like if you have homes in two states and reside in each half a year, for the purposes of buying a firearm under federal law, you can consider yourself a resident of each state during the time you are physically there.

i will go into the local gun store and see what they have to say about the matter. I couldn't believe there is actually a gun store here in NJ around NYC

Take possession of it outside of New Jersey. Have the seller print out from the state police website a certificate of eligibility. This is simply a certification that you are legally able to own firearms. The seller will keep it after you purchase the shotgun from him.

If you change residency to NJ, apply for a Firearms ID card for good measure. Explaining to police that you owned guns prior to moving into NJ will be an exercise in futility, as police here are quick to arrest people for the most minimal violations.

Back