How to tighten cartridge loops?

Real Gun

It seems most belt makers offer cartridge loops as 44/45, when 44 Special/44 Magnum is .025 smaller than 45 and somewhat smaller than 44-40 and can be loose in the loops. Is there a way to tighten leather loops?

You can wet the loops and put 44 cartridges in them and let them dry but if anybody has used any kind of oil on it that might not work.

If you wet the leather and then insert Brass cartridges in the loops,,,

You will not like the green verdigris that will quickly form.

There is really no reliable/predictable way to shrink leather,,,
But what you can try is to wet just the loops and then force dry with a blow dryer.

This will often shrink the loops but there's no guarantee

Do not insert any cartridges in the wet leather,,,
You want the fibers to draw tight to themselves.

But, the best way would be to hit a saddle repair shop,,,
And have new loops sewn onto the belt.

Aarond

as aarongrahm said leave the cases out
this way if the leather does indeed shrink it will be slightly smaller than the case and be snug

Normally leather will shrink somewhat when wetted and then heat applied.
but not necessarily in the way you want.
But if all else fails, do as suggested above, have a shoe shop, leather shop, saddle maker
re sew the loops

I don't expect to have anything resewn. This belt is brand new and expensive, so worst case it will serve as another 45 Colt belt, or maybe 44-40, and get replaced for serving 44 Special/44 Magnum. I am waiting for advice from the maker.

After one wetting and drying over 24 hours, the loops give the impression of being more snug and probably okay for security. I decided to repeat, hoping to reach a feeling that the belt really is for this caliber (44). I let the loops dry without cases or cartridges inserted. Advice to do that made sense.

This is the Texas belt by El Paso Saddlery, bought with a Threepersons cross-draw for my 50th Anniversary Blackhawk FlatTop in 44 Magnum at 6 1/2". The holster is already made for a 2" cartridge belt (measures 2 1/8"), a width which no one else seems to offer stock with cartridge loops. I want to make do rather than replace an expensive holster for wider belt opening. Learned a lesson there on minimum holster loop width. The belt standard seems to be 2 1/2" and one needs to consider sliding over belt loops, either empty or filled.

Last edited:
Didn't really work. To El Paso's credit, the leather is too stable. The cartridges don't fall out, they just don't seem secure to me. Still waiting on response from El Paso.

Yes and depends

Is there a way to tighten leather loops?

Depends on how far off you are and although I don't encounter many my first pass is to wet the loops and let them dry. I do not insert and cases. You may have to do this more than once. Leather is a very dynamic material to work with and loops, in time, will always loosen up. ...... :)
I have also lined the loops with Leather Crafters rubber cement and this too will loosen with time. It's cheap and easy. .... ;)
On extreme cases, I have double stitched each loop and installed a bottom stop strip of leather. You can even replace the entire strip loop with a new pre-looped panel. ..... :eek:

You will not like the green verdigris that will quickly form
You don't have to even wet the leather as given enough time, verdigris will form and this stuff, is nasty. ..... :(

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
If trying to fit leather to a gun or cartridges by wetting it, don't use the bare metal; wrap the metal in plastic wrap or plastic sandwich bags to protect both it and the leather.

Jim

Back