How to store ammo for handguns?

deepforest27

Inactive
If one was going to store a considerable amount of handgun ammo, say, 2000 rounds, what is the best way to store it and where. Should they be stored bullet up or primer up?
Thanks for the help...

For best results keep your ammo in a moisture free environment with a consistant temp. Above all, make sure it is a safe place ( Free of children and or ignitions sources)

You will get alot of mixed opinions of primer up or down.. I would like to know myself.. I have alway store my ammo primer up, so I can still read the boxes.

I would say store in factory package or if reloads in old factory box or plastic ammo boxes. Don't handle ammo if at all possible. If you must wash hands before and after with soap. "before to protect the ammo and after to protect you"
I would get some surplus ammo boxes to put the boxes in and some dessecant (sp) "stuff that keeps moist air out. It absorbs it" Then don't open the tin until you need the ammo. Leave it alone in a cool dry place without temp changes and it will work for your kids.

Used ammo cans are the best bet. They have a good rubber seal on the lid that is airtight if you`re lucky to get some in decent shape.

Store it in the bottom of a closet and that ammo will last 100 years.

Back