How to soften gun leather

BEARMAN

Inactive
What is the best way to soften gun leather that is creaky and stiff. This is cowboy action shooting leather, holster and belts. I would also like to know the best way to treat my leather IDPA/IPSIC and carry holsters so they last , it seems that if you like the way it feels and carries, it wears out and they don't make it anymore. Thank you .

Regular light washing with room temp water and a high quality saddlesoap or lanolin and storage in a clean but not too dry place will help extend the life of leather goods. Everything wears out eventually though, as my wife will attest to.;)

Saddle soap applied like a spit shine, rag dipped in (warm) water, then rubbed in tin of saddle soap and applied in small circular motion over the complete surface. Lightly buffed with clean cloth after dry (next day). Once a year, unless dragging through the mud. Same does the job on good leather hunting boots. Don't worry too much; you'll dry out before the leather does.;)

1.Clean with saddle soap
2.Let dry for 24 hours
3.Apply 2 coats of neatsfoot oil(available at Wal-Mart or grocery store),waiting for complete absorption of first coat before doing second.;)

Basic leather care

Couple of things for you, pard.

Leather creaks.. it adds atmosphere.

Clean it when it gets dirty, use saddle soap. Keep it formed with a tennis ball when you're not keeping a bun in the holster. You don't want the leather to get soft. It should be pliable but not floppy. I usually wet-form my holsters about once a year.

From my observations and experience, over oiling is more damaging to leather life than under oiling. The biggest factor in leather longevity seems to be the quality of the leather and the tanning process. Make sure that you buy quality leather.

Suerte,

Back