How to ship a gun internationally from the US?

WilliamK

Inactive
How can you get a couple of revolvers shipped from an American license holder in Georgia to an Australian owner.

I read only a FFL can ship internationally, can you pay a gun dealer to ship it to Australia?

I don't believe that just any FFL can ship internationally. I think it has to be an FFL who has a separate (or additional) license as an importer/exporter.

Not all revolvers can be imported to Australia. The first step would be verifying that the prospective owner will be able to get them imported on his end.

They would need to be .38 caliber or lower unless there's a way to document that they are going to be used in "specially accredited sporting events" and then they could be up to .45 caliber.

The barrels would need to be at least 3.94" long unless the revolvers can be demonstrated to be " designed or adapted for competition target shooting".

Doesn't sound like it's a sure thing that they would be approved even if they met those requirements.

Permission to import firearms would have to be obtained prior to the firearms arriving in Australia. Permission "may be granted" by state or territory police firearms and weapons registries or by the Department of Home Affairs.

I don't know what kind of hoops you would have to jump through on this end to get them out of the U.S. legally, but here's a start:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-licensee-need-export-license-export-firearm

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...rm,-gun,-handgun,-rifle,-shotgun,-pistol,-etc.

Are these super valuable revolvers? My guess is that even if they're not super valuable right now, they will be by the time they make it to Australia legally.

If you are not in the munitions import / export business, it’s going to be risky and expensive to get 1-off paperwork done.
(I was in the munitions import / export biz for 20 years)

ITAR regulations are going to kill you.

You can't do it without an export license granted by US Dept. of State. Highly unlikely they would issue one for a personal transfer.

We worked in Iraq and Afghanistan under US DOD contracts and they were horrible to work with.

Back