How to ship a gun for warranty work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipper

I need to send my Walther P99 to Smith & Wesson for warranty work, but I don't know how to do that legally. I hear that the parcel services won't accept handgun shipments: is this true? If so, how do I ship?

Thanks for your help

Hi, Pipper,

Legally, anyone can send a gun to any FFL holder, which includes manufacturers and warranty repair centers. As far as I know, FedEx is still accepting handgun shipments. Many people, including myself, prefer to ship through a dealer to avoid any hassle with the carrier, and willingly pay a small fee for the service. I am on good terms with the area dealers and they will usually ship for free if I package the item and pay for the shipping.

I suggest you write to S&W, tell them what the problem is or what you want done, and follow their instructions.

Jim

Pipper,

Do call Smith & Wesson first. Many companies will assign you a return authorization code to expedite paper processing. Also, some companies will take care of your shipping. I'm still singing the praises of Springfield Armory for their policy of paying shipping both ways for warranty claims. I sent a pistol in last week for warranty work. SA gave me their UPS account number, thus saving me the $35.00 otherwise required under the new Next Day Air shakedown. Hugh

You can call S&W customer service at 1-800-331-0852 ext. 2904.

they should be able to tell you the best way to handle it.

I hope this reply didn't post twice, if so, I appologize.
I have recently had quite a bit of experience shipping to Smith & Wesson. If you are shipping for warranty work, they will reimburse you for the shipping. Go with UPS. You can track you package, they insure each package for the ammount you declare it's worth to be, and if the gun will arrive by 10:30 the next morning.
The only hassle is finding a UPS Customer Service Center. You can't just take you gun down to Mailboxes Ect., you need to find a UPS Customer Service Center. Go to their web site http://www.ups.com to find one near you.
To ship my 3.68 pound revolver to Smith & Wesson, insured for $600, overnight, they charged $19.50.
One last thing, don't be afraid to list the contents as a handgun. They are sopposed to be informed and as they just implemented this overnight only policy to protect against theft, odds are they will be taking extra care not to lose any handguns. Besides, you are insured.

I just shipped a pistol to Ruger for warranty work. I used FedEx, and shipped it through my local Mailboxes etc. Cost me $28.00 to do it though.
Good shootin to ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back