How to Sell a Handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipper

I'm considering selling a relatively new handgun that's only shot about 500 rounds. Is selling a handgun to an adult as easy as handing over the gun for cash, or are there other legal aspects to selling a used gun?

Also, what percentage of original value could I expect to sell the gun for? It's a Walther P99, very clean and in great shape, it stays in the house except for the few times that it's been to the range.

The law varies from state to state. Where are you?

For an interstate sale, you should be able to ship to any federally licensed firearms dealer once you have an ink-signed copy of that dealer's FFL.

For a lightly used pistol, I'd try to get 80% of the original retail price. You can look at the "Blue Book of Gun Values" for a more "official" number.

Im in maryland. and when i sold my Firestar .45 to a guy i knew, we had to go to the state police and he filled out the paperwork and waited 7 days. he got the paperwork in the mail that said "Not Disapproved" then i was legally able to hand it over.

P.S. I would have just given it to him or threw it in the river but that wasnt legal. so i sold it. What a JUNKER !

------------------
TIM : )

Piper, I am in Texas also. Ain't we the lucky ones. David Avery in McKinney, Tx sells the Walther P99 NIB for $519 in 9mm and about $539 in .40 cal. Bachman in Dallas may be cheaper. Used should go for around $450-$475.

As a seller you take the money and turn the pistol over to the buyer. You do need to make certain that he is not a minor, is a resident of Texas, to the best of your knowledge is not a substance abuser, to the best of your knowledge is not a convicted felon, to the best of your knowledge is not purchasing the firearm to circumvent federal laws, and to the best of your knowledge he is not purchasing it with the intent to commit a crime with it. Write him a receipt and take a name and address from the license for both of your protection.

I'd like to echo Jeff's sentiments. If the police find that your gun has been used in a crime, they will track it back to you. If you have a bill of sale containing the serial number of the gun and the buyer's signature you are off the hook. If someone is unwilling to give me a signature and address, I don't trust them enough to sell a gun to them!

When I buy a gun I request the same thing. It really does protect both of you...

Jeff OTMG, it's funny that you mention David Avery: I bought my P99 as well as an HK USP Compact from him at the gun show at the Amon Carter Exhibit Hall!

I'm considering selling my P99 because it's a bit big for concealed carry. The Glock 27 looks really good, and I like that it takes hi-cap magazines.

I disagree. I would sell it to any adult I wanted and not worry about keeping any records. I am not irresponsible just trying to excercise my rights under the constitution. You don't need paperwork in texas then why try to create some? I won't buy anymore or sell if paperwork or names are involved. Many others feel the same way as I have made a lot of deals that way.

It depends on the state. In my state (MN) an adult can sell a gun to an adult w/o any paperwork.
But, I would only do this if I knew the person well.
And even then I have written up a sheet of paper that says:
"I (insert buyers name) am purchasing (make, model, serial number) from (sellers name) on (date). I (buyer) am not under legal restriction to buy/possess firearms and have no plans to use the above gun in a crime. I (seller's name) do not know of any legal reason why it would be unlawful to sell this gun to (buyer)."
I make two copies and we both sign and date both. I keep one and the buyer keeps one.
The only time the gubmint would see the paper is if I get a knock on the door and am asked why "my" gun was found at a crime scene.
If you don't want the buyer to have your name or a piece of paper with your signiture on it then you need to have the transfer done thru an FFL holder.
-Kframe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back