How To Select Shotgun Sight Bead

The Rattler

I bought an old run down single shot Excell shotgun for a project to refurbish. I am new to this, but I have refinished 5 wood stocks now. On this one, I used Pilkington's Classic Gunstock Finish.

This gun, however, is missing the sight bead on the muzzle end of the barrel. There is a hole for it, but the bead is missing. I want to replace it. The problem is I don't know how to acquire a replacement.

Excell shotguns were reportedly a brand name for Montgomery Ward shotguns. I understand there were at least 3 companies that manufactured them for Montgomery Ward, one of which was Iver Johnson. People on another forum that specialize in identifying guns had difficulty identifying the maker, but eventually said this one is an Iver Johnson "variant," whatever that means.

The exterior of this receiver looks the same as an Iver Johnson Champion. So I ordered a bead for that make and model, but it doesn't fit. It is too small to screw into the hole.

According to the invoice from Numerich, that bead is "3-56 Thread, .190 High, .185 Dia." I don't even know what those numbers mean. Again, this one is too small.

Now, what do I do? I've never done anything like this before, but I am eager to learn.

#3-56 is a very small threaded hole. The first number is the major diameter of the threaded hole. For instance, a 1/4-20 threaded hole has a 1/4 inch diameter. In this case, 3 is a number as opposed to a nominal diameter. I'm not sure what the diameter would be. 56 is pitch, meaning there are 56 threads per inch. .190 high is presumably how tall the bead is and .185 is likely the diameter.

I'll admit that's a strange thread pitch. Gogling it actually brings up a result for the front sight bead from Numrich. In lieu of finding a dedicated replacement part, you would need to to know the thread pattern (diameter and pitch) to find a suitable replacement.

I also wonder if it wouldn't be an option to maybe just drill and tap a new hole in front of or behind the old one to match whichever bead you want to use.

They're available from Brownells, Numrich, Midway, etc. Or just walk into your friendly local gunsmith and they likely have a whole box full of them (like I do).

In a pinch just retap the original hole for whatever bead or bead substitute is on hand.
Shotgun barrels are thin and very easy to tap.
Of course, you can only go with the same size or larger, not smaller.:)
Just be sure the new bead doesn't extend down into the path of the projectile.
There are tap size charts readily available with a web search.
https://www.physics.ncsu.edu/pearl/Tap_Drill_Chart.html

Last edited:
When installing the new bead, I would advise against using pliers. You can get a small pin vise pretty cheap, especially from jeweler suppliers on eBay. They have a small chuck on the end, and are just a shade larger than a jewelers screwdriver. Place the bead in the chuck, tighten the chuck up, and use it to screw the bead into the barrel, so you wont stand a chance of snapping it off, or marring the bead itself.

Pin Vise Swivel Head, up to 1/8" dia. chuck:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIN-VISE-SWIVEL-HEAD-2-CHUCK-4-SIZES-HAND-DRILL-TOOL-CAPACITY-RANGE-0-1-8-/200817257765?hash=item2ec1a42d25:g:ODMAAOSw54xUVnxe

Once it is screwed in, you will have to carefully cut the bottom of the bead off, using a round file, (a chainsaw file works well), or emery paper on a dowel rod, etc. If you leave it sticking into the barrel, and fire it, it could split the barrel. I cut them close to being flush with the inside of the barrel, unscrew them, then finish cutting them down to length with a flat file. Next, I retry them for fit, by screwing them back in. It needs to be flush with the inside of the barrel. Be careful to not hit the inside of the barrel with the file or abrasive, when you getting the rough length cut down.

Back