how to repair a chip on a Colt blue slide?

thequickad

I have a ding (chip) on my Colt Mustang's blue finish slide. It must have happended when the dealer left the gun in the display counter and it bumped with another gun. I am wondering if it can be repaired? If so, how?
Do you think sending it to get some hi-tech finish like NP3 will cover it up?

thank you and Happy New Year! Everyone :)

I don't have an answer for you but wanted to hop on this question too. Besides touching up a blued finish, I would like some advice on touching-up dings on aluminum framed pistols that have a black finish. I have used semi-gloss black lacquer with some success but was wondering if there is something better.

Im not sure if this will help you but my first purchased pistol was a belgium hi-power i worked a deal because the pistol had a partial bare spot on the slide, and the blueing back then had to be seen to be appreciated.....after discharge from uncle sams club, I met a neghibor who with paitence and a very soft eraser managed to work on that bluing utill that blemish was covered-- He was a retired borderpatrol agent and gun dealer back when you didnt have to have a store to be a dealer---you might want to give it a try....fubsy.

How deep is the ding? If it just bumped with another gun on display I would think it is pretty shallow. Depending on what area of the slide it's on (or what the texture of the finish is, polished or matte) you could have it polished out (on the flats) or bead-blasted (on the top or rear or dust cover). The one area can be worked on by itself and retouched with a rebluing solution or pen like Birchwood Casey's. High-tech finishes like NP-3 are great but I would not send the gun off to get it applied unless I were planning on it anyway because such finishes will not cover and may sometimes highlight blemishes. However, a good refinisher will correct any minor blemishes before applying a new finish.

Back