"How to prevent violence in the workplace" article

I'm not about to argue that "one guy with a gun" could not end violence. To a great extent, however, that's irrelevant.

A workplace is not like a Long Island commuter train or a Luby's Cafeteria. It is a place where people know each other and to a great extent *must* trust one another. So, to ignore warning signs is just plain stupid.

The key point of the article is that impending violence very, very rarely happens without warning signs. It's just that folks ignore these signs and then we have the, "...well, he was a real quiet guy, never bothered anybody...". In a word, BS.

Almost every time, back-trailing the perp reveals a pattern of statements or actions well before he's chewed out, or passed over for a raise or promotion...And then some clue afterwards in the form of sullenness or hostile comments to some co-worker or family member.

If I'm running a business with a bunch of employees, do you think I'm going to advise the whole crowd that, "Well, one of you is a potential nutcase, so everybody get a CHL."?

Duh?

:), Art

Your point is well taken. I've edited my original post so as not be misunderstood.
I don't mean to suggest that we should turn our work places into armed encampments.

Where workplace violence is from an internal source (employees), it is easy to control if recognized and challenged immediately by supervisors/managers. Those are the ones which can be prevented or diverted. The ones where the job has no control involves the unhappy spouse or former lover. There are no warning signs unless the intended victim speaks up.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

FWIW, it;s good to remember that workplace homocides are down significantly from the 80's, even with our larger population. The media makes it seem like it is an epidemic.

Also, don't forget that most cases of workplace homicide are confined to the employees of "Stop 'n Rob" 24hr quickie-marts and gas stations.

Back