How to prevent casings sticking?

totaldla

I have S&W329pd. This 6 shot 44mag revolver has a titanium cylinder.

I was shooting some plinkers, (240gr@850fps), and practicing reloads. I had a casing stick so hard that I had to use a brass knockout rod to drive out one casing. Brass looked fine - I have no idea why it stuck.

What can I do to prevent sticking?

They can be polished. Ask TK Custom. I think they've done this in the past. At least they might be able to direct you to someone who does.

In fact, maybe S&W will do this. Check with them, too.

I had a casing stick so hard that I had to use a brass knockout rod to drive out one casing
Double load? Normally 850fps loads are not going to stick in a chamber. I take it just happened the 'once'?

Double load? Normally 850fps loads are not going to stick in a chamber. I take it just happened the 'once'?
Yes, just this "once".

These were reloads.

The load was 6grs of Clays behind a 240gr Hitek coated LSWC in a 44mag case.

I'm not saying I'm above doing an overcharge, but I loaded these on a dillon SDB, and I've been running this load for years.

I didn't feel anything abnormal, but I don't know what 12grs of Clays would feel like - maybe a KABOOM, maybe not. I do know what regular 44mag feels like - the lightweight 329 makes it obvious.

Sounds like overcharge/hot load is the only reason for a stuck case - I have had hot loads stick before, just not as "stuck".

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
could there have been contamination on the shell or in the chamber?

i only asked because i have had fte with steel cased 5.56, the shalak on the cases some times cooks to the chamber wall. you have to drive them out.

side note; they actually shot quite well for $.06 a shot. around MoA from a dpms m4 carbine 1:9. that's better than most other fmj loadings did in that gun.

could there have been contamination on the shell or in the chamber?

i only asked because i have had fte with steel cased 5.56, the shalak on the cases some times cooks to the chamber wall. you have to drive them out.

side note; they actually shot quite well for $.06 a shot. around MoA from a dpms m4 carbine 1:9. that's better than most other fmj loadings did in that gun.
That is what was thinking at first. The stuck case happened after two cylinders, and these plinkers can have some soot on them.

Whenever I run into sticking cases with my reloads, I not how manytimes the cases have been reloaded. Those reloaded many times stretch until the case mouth creeps up into the cylinder throat. I try to trim after the cases have been loaded over fifteen times. Careful attention to the number of times a case hast been reloaded is a step toward case life.

Bob Wright

When a case sticks to the point it has to be driven out with a rod , that usually indicates too much pressure .

The quick and easy answer is too much powder in that reload ... but it could be one of several things that cause a spike in pressure .

Wade through all the things it could be and try not to repeat it.
You can't be too careful when reloading !

Load Safe,
Gary

excelent point, i seldom reload pistol rounds; so, i am more enclined to think bottle necks. streight wall cases head space on the case mouth, checking the case length is a good idea indeed.

First: I don't know what I'm talking about!!n Fortunately, we have Unclenick
who does know what he talks about.

Case volume/load density can sometimes play a part in spiking pressure.
Decades ago, the shooting magazines had frequent discussions about subloads of 4831 wrecking Springfield/Mauser strength rifles on rare occasions.

Odd things can happen when powder has too much space as the primer flame occurs.

I don't pretend to know if there could be such a problem with the OP's load.

Consider a gasoline engine can be wrecked by detonation (pinging) in the combustion chamber caused by lean mixture.

Accurate Powders had a big red loading manual. I there they talked about the challenges of loading safe pressure loads for the 45 Colt (huge case) in semi-strong guns. Now,I AM NOT recommending loading anything here! I recall in the notes ,for a bulky powder that would give some case fill,they suggested Nitro 100. This powder is so fluffy they only fit 12 oz in a 1 lb powder container. I can't tell you how it works.

As far as polishing chambers for a solution.....Did S+W sell you a rough cylinder? If they did,maybe S+W will fix it. If its not noticeably rough, suggest you NOT grab the Dremel or cordless drill and whatever bore mop or dowel or brush annointed with Clover Compound or Flitz or Barkeepers Friend or whatever abrasive is suggested.

Not applicable to 44mag in a revolver.
The .44 Magnum is indeed prone to case stretching. In fact, it is more suseptible to case stretching than more demure loads. Case length has been more of a source for cases sticking for me than high pressure ammunition. I find that after being loaded around ten times, my magnum cases do need trimming.

Bob Wright

... a titanium cylinder.

...loaded these on a dillon SDB, and I've been running this load for years.

You've been running that load in that gun, for years???

Never a problem before?? None since?? only happened that one time???

Had that case been loaded before??

You said the stuck case looked ok. DO you still have it, separate, for examination?? or did you toss it back in with the rest of the brass?? :rolleyes:

There are possible causes, and there are likely causes. Keeping the "bad" case separate for examination and measurement, aids in the trouble shooting process. Having one round stick, one time, generally means something was different enough about that one round to do it.

the trick is figuring out what actually did it, and why.

Mystery solved

I went back and measured my brass - I knew it was a fools errand but I thought "what the heck" maybe. As I was measuring my brass, (discovering they were all way short of SAAMI max of 1.285" - 4 or 5 firings), I found the culprit - something I missed while at the range.

I'm confident the picture will say it all - thanks for input!

Starline brass btw.

As the goblin king said, "that'll do it!" :eek:

Guess going back and checking your brass wasn't such a fool's errand at all.

:D

Back