How to pick a bullet/sabot by barrel twist

Danindetroit

I know this is for blackpowder, but I think you guys are more knowledgable in this area than anybody else. I want to get a rifled barrel for a shotgun to shoot win partition gold slugs. They are .50 cal bullets at .9185" in a sabot that is .725"dia x 1.087" long. Do I use the sabot dims, or the bullet dims, when finding the correct twist for the barrel. With the bullet I get a 1 in 38" with the sabot I get a 1 in 72". I realise this ammo might not work in my gun but when I use the bullet it is close to the 1 in 36" twist of the rifled barrel, and was figuring that once the bullet leaves the barrel the bullet will almost immediately leave the sabot behind and possibly stabilise. Sorry for posting a shotgun question here, but I thought that you guys would know about this type of ballistic question.

Thanks, so a slow twist would make the bullet not stabilize, a faster twist in a really fast gun and the bullet "might" fly apart I assume. It comes down to who's new wonder slug shoots more accurately out of the barrel. thanks for your help. :) I hope I did not make too many people mad but I figured blackpowder guys would know this stuff backwards and forwards.

Most Black Powder Barrels come in a few standard twists: 1:66, 1:60; 1:48, 1:32, 1:28, and a few slightly faster.

If you were to list projectiles by twist rate it would look something like this:

Patched Round Ball: 1:66, 1:60, 1:48
Lead Conical bullets: 1:48, 1:32
Saboted bullets: 1:32, 1:28 & faster

Of course these aren't hard and fast rules, but general ideas. Heck, my 1:28 Knight does damn well with heavy conicals and with light charges and round balls. But, if you look toward that list - it can sure help you pick bullets for your weapon or a weapon for the type of bullet you want/have to use.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. :) It is like cars, you can tune an engine on a dyno and have it running at peak HP, torque, but it don't mean squat if it doesn't go when strapped into a car on the track. Same with guns, you have the load looking good, according to the twist the bullet should work great, but then all of a sudden you can't even get a cosistent shot much less group. :) I appreciate the help.

Slug gun

Dan;
Check out the Savage 210F, a .729 cal. bolt action some thing or other, I cannot decide if it is a shotgun or a rifle.
The Mossberg SSi has been discontinued but .30-06 rifles, 12 ga rifled and turkey choke guns and replacement 12ga and .223 bull barrels are still available from some sources.
;)
Don

Back