How to paint synthetic stocks?

Steve Smith

I'm getting two M14 stocks from Fred's soon. One will have bright colors and will be a "pretty" stock. I don't want the paing to get scratched easily. Is there a coating I can spray over the paint to protect it that doesn't change the color of the paint underneath?

Frontsight, for painting these stocks I use automobile paint so I would think that a clear lacquer would serve your purpose. You'd want to experiment to make sure the color doesn't change. George

Frontsight!
I think Fred has paint listed on his web site and uses a poly for final coating. I just did my M1A and Fal in olive drab green (Krylon Camo paint color) with poly satin coating and it looks great. Don't know about it being tough but it looks like it will be. PS I saw your posts on other forums, congrats on your new M1A...you'll love it!

I just used Krylons O.D. Green camo paint on my Hungarian AK. The Choate stocks turned out beautifully. I never thought about a satin coating, I guess I'll have to get a can and give it a nice coat. Before Painting I did give it two coats of primer. Don't remember how many coats of paint, but it was an all day affair, thank God it was a nice hot sunny day outside.

Back