• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

How to insert images into a post

Roland Thunder

How can I insert photo images into a post. Every time I try to insert an image from my google drive or from the google photo app, I obtain the URL of the photo and click the image icon on this site, it inserts it as an icon. How can I actually insert the image so someone doesn't have to click the icon to display the image.

Post your photos to an image hosting site like Imgur, Snapfish, or Photobucket. I use Photobucket because it's easy to use. Once your photo is uploaded you only need to left click on the IMG code and it automatically copies it, then you simply right click and paste that code into your post. Photobucket is free to use, I'm not sure about other sites.

Greg - it sounds like the Google apps are giving you the URL of an icon, and not the URL of the actual image. There is nothing here at TFL that is turning an image into an icon.

Do you have a link to an example of the type of image you're trying to post and the URL of the icon?

Mal H said:
Do you have a link to an example of the type of image you're trying to post and the URL of the icon?

Not off hand. Whenever that happens I ended up using Photobucket as suggested by another poster and that always works. It's just that I only use photobucket for the purpose of posting images on TFL and other boards and it requires an extra step to put them on photobucket first and then on TFL. I regularly store things on my Google drive so it would eliminate an extra step. Besides, I think I got some malware (no pun intended) on my computer from visiting photobucket so I don't like using it if possible.

I'll let you know next time I try to post an image from Google

Please give an actual example of an image url you're trying to embed as an image. That will narrow down where the problem is.

Do like gunnerk19 said and use photobucket. Copy the IMG code and paste it in your text. No need to use the forum image icon.

Back