How to Head Space a No4 MK1

Humblge

Inactive
I have a No4 MK1 that has not been fired in 20 years. I am curious before I go blow my self up if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I live in Central texas and have had no luck finding a Gunsmith that could check it for me. I have heard that you can put a piece of masking tape on the back of a bullet and load it and it will close. But when you stick the second piece on it should not. However, the extract/ejector tears the tape off so I would like another suggestion.
Thanks...
Oh, Pics http://www.elliscomp.com/enfield/index.html

Humblge, get an leaf type feeler gage or another source if you have one to make your shims from. The first shim should be .004" thick. Cut it just a little smaller the rim dia. Use a dab of grease to hold it in place. That's your No-Go gage. If the bolt closes on that, make another shim .006" thick and put it behind the first or make one .010" and use it alone. That's your Field Gage. If you find you have a problem you might want to discuss correcting it with your local smith. If you don't have anyone near you feel free to e-mail me. I'd be happy to do it for you. George

What other bolt action rifles would this technique apply to? I plan to buy a surplus Mauser and Mosin-Nagant. Thanks.

Back