How to get FFL?

BATF. From what I know, one applies for an FFl, and on said application, you need to have a place of business that has open hours at some set time. This is so the BATF can bust in, excuse me, come in, and check to make sure all records are nice and tidy, but only during the posted "open" hours. This can be your home, but beware of zoning laws. Not sure on cost, you definitely need to get the details from the BATF.
I read the opinion of one gentlem, and I have forgotten his name, that an FFl is good if you are a serious collector, gunsmith, etc, but a bad idea if you are looking for a cheaper way to buy a few guns and ammo. Keep dreaming John...wholesale firearms may not me as far away as you think.

------------------
Live Free or Die

BATF takes the not-unreasonable position that a dealer FFL is a business license, and should be issued to businesses, not to individuals who want to buy guns cheap.

Further, they say that they cannot issue business licenses when operation of a business would be illegal under local or state law, such as a business in a residential zone. The Feds, will not, in other words, give a person a license to violate local law.

Do they "break into" a place of business. All I can say is that I have never known them to do so. The law gives them the right to inspect FFL business premises and books during business hours. Those who consider this evil must then also consider evil a restaurant license that gives inspectors the right to search for cockroaches.

I would second the point that if you seriously want to run a business, obtain a dealer's license. If you are a serious collector who wants to do some interstate trade in Curios and Relics, get a collector's license. Neither is hard to get, and the latter does not need a business premises.

But if you get a dealer's FFL, you will have to engage in business. You will have to have a legal place of business, keep books, pay taxes, maybe pay rent, pay for local gun dealer licenses and business licenses, etc. It is worth it to make money (some will disagree). It is not worth it for fun or to buy guns wholesale for your own use.

Further, once you have an FFL, every guy you ever said hello to will want you to buy guns for him and sell to him at what you paid. And then they will complain that the gun finish is not perfect, the gun doesn't shoot as well as the one they got from the other guy, that you charged sales tax and another buddy doesn't, etc. etc. etc.

Been there, done that; no license, no more.

Back