How to field strip a Henry lever rifle?

Porsche911

I am looking at a Henry Big Boy .357 (used FTF buy). Pictures look good.

I was wondering how difficult it is to field strip this gun? I searched this section and found plenty of useful information but nothing on cleaning them.

Thanks

Thanks.

I made the deal for tomorrow. I'll post a picture.

I've never owned a Marlin. This will be my first rifle purchase in the last 30+ years.

This will be my first Henry. I own two Winchester Model 94's:

Win94.jpg

Win94a.jpg

The above are 20" barrels. The Henry is maybe a 16 1/2" carbine (although his pictures look like a 20").

The term (and idea) of "field stripping" really does not really apply to those lever guns. They are not made to be disassembled except in a place where parts can't "escape".

While a century ago, cleaning a rifle to prevent rusting was a good idea, the average hunter will not today often encounter a situation where disassembling his rifle will be necessary for safety or preservation.

Jim

"
"I was wondering how difficult it is to field strip this gun? I searched this section and found plenty of useful information but nothing on cleaning them. "

It may be considered cheating, for the most part when I clean my Marlin or Henry I give them a good blast of a CLP and then hit with about 100 psi of compressed air. Run a bore snake through the barrel and wipe them down. It works for me.

Thanks,
I was trying to get all of the information that I could since I just wasn't familiar with these rifles. I found this site when searching for that info.

Here are the pictures. I also fired it today at the range. It works great. I consider the price a bargain (<$600).

Henry.jpg

Henry2.jpg

Henry5.jpg

I like the shorter magazine tube, pretty rifle. If it is like a Marlin then just remove the lever screw and the lever should come out of the bottom and the bolt out the back of the receiver. Then you can clean it from the chamber instead of the muzzle. Model 94's are not so easy to remove the bolt, those would get cleaned from the muzzle if they were mine. Nice rifles also!

just remove the lever screw and the lever should come out of the bottom and the bolt out the back of the receiver.

Yes. After I purchased it, the owners manual mentions this as well as stating (as above) that wiping the bore and metal is all that is recommended. They also suggest spraying a little oil around the bolt.

The much older Model 94's recommended a complete cleaning. I still have the old owners manuals and boxes. My Dad was US Army and taught me to clean a gun before I could own one.

It would be hard to imagine anyone selling a lever action agreeing to their rifle being taken apart.
Especially since the usual way to check them is what you did - just shoot it.
Enjoy your new rifle and resist playing the Rifleman.:)

I think you mean Gunsmith? ;)

I have a bunch of post-war revolvers. I take them apart all of the time. It's just part of the hobby to me. Model 19 .357:
repair.jpg

I see a lot of 40-60 year old hand built revolvers that no one has ever bothered to remove the gunk and dried oil. I clean the gunk off and re-oil it. It takes 20 minutes and improves the action and trigger feel.

Back