How to clean up gun cleaners/ Hoppes 9

PushPuller

Well iv finally done it! Iv finally reached across the table to grab something end elbow knocked my jar of Hoppes over.

Luckily it happened on my gun mat and not all over the floor or table. But now I have a very well saturated gun mat and have no idea how to clean it. What do you guys suggest?

If you have a sink in your basement, use it to rinse it out. That or take it outside and use the hose. Dont do it inside the house or the wife might want to kill you!

"...a sink in your basement..." Leads directly to your drinking water source. All solvents are toxic.
Use a regular carpet cleaning product. Or buy a new mat.

Buy a new mat.
Has anyone used baking soda tom remove such smells ? I've used it for years to clean and deodorize things .
Pourous things will probably never get better

Agreed , dump it and get another . And that's coming from a guy that's loves the smell of it , I may use it as a after shave , Kidding .

pushpuller said:
Well iv finally done it! Iv finally reached across the table to grab something end elbow knocked my jar of Hoppes over.

I've been there and done it.

For a few dollars on ebay, I bought two ounce brown glass bottles with glass eye droppers. It's easier to get that little dropper out of a bottle than the end of a cleaning rod without tipping the bottle and it's easier to control where the stuff goes.

Ill just pitch it! Iv got a buddy who has a sink in his garage for everything you don't want to put in the house sink. Short story shorter it still feels a little saturated and sure does smell the same. I was gonna live it with it, but after several comments throughout the evening from the other half it was pretty apparent another $5 mat wasn't going to set me back much!

Maybe in the great frozen north, a basement sink leads directly to your drinking water source.
It generally doesn't work that way down here....

Hoppes has petroleum products in it. Water and petroleum don’t mix. Hand wash it outside in hot water and Mr Clean. Wrong it out good and Put it on a piece of sheet metal somewhere that the sun can get at it. After a couple weeks the smell will dissipate and be gone.

Back