How to clean the barrel? (the right way)

hjm

Excuse my ignorance, but I am new to guns and just learning.

I recently bought a S&W model 66, and I have cleaned it 2 times. I read or heard somewhere that one is not supposed to clean the barrel from the end toward the cylinder. Is this true?

Which the end of the gun, the muzzle or the breach?

How does one clean the barrel from the cylinder end?

I have some gun experience, so I do know that you should clean your gun after every use, and I have. But I have put the barrel rod/bronze brush in the barrel via the end, then pushed toward the cylinder. Is that wrong or right? I did not see any other way?

Thanks,

hjm

Clean from the breach/cylinder/chamber end to avoid damaging the crown. Keep in mind, it is real hard to do so on a revolver without a boresnake. That's why you usually end up cleaning them from the muzzle end.

Boresnakes are great. I own one for every caliber and guage. But sadly, they're only good for range use. If you are shooting lead bullets, they're even more worthless. Great tool, but sometimes REAL cleaning is necessary.

Since you are attempting to clean a revolver, you will have to run the rod into the muzzle end. There's no avoiding that. Aquire yourself a crown protector. If you can't buy one, make one. Sometimes you'll see plasic caps that come on auto parts (throttle bodys, carbs, water pumps, etc) These things work just dandy if you hollow out a place just big enough for your cleaning rod to pass thru.

Barring that, you could always just buy a plastic-coated cleaning rod. They are inexpensive and easy to find. The aluminum rods can collect grit and damage the crown even though it's softer than the rifling. I think KleenBore makes a plastic-coated rod. Check into it and practice safety while cleaning that wheelgun.

Callahan

Yep, clean revolvers from the muzzle end. Throw away any aluminum cleaning rods you have and buy a plastic coated or stainless steel one. The plastic won't scratch the bore or muzzle but eventually ends up with grit embedded in it which will. Stainless also won't scratch if you take care or use a muzzle guide (ala Inspector Callahan) and it won't end up with grit embedded in it.

Back