How to carry on a motorcycle?

MakAttack

If there are any CCW motorcycle riders lurking about, would you be willing to share the ways you have discovered to effectively & discretely carry while riding?

I usually wear a riding vest, & slide my Mustang Pocket-Lite into the vertical inside vest pocket using a pocket holster to keep the butt in position. However, I would like a little more substantial caliber & a few more rounds. Specifically, I would like to carry either my carry Makarov or my Taurus PT940. A shoulder holster really doesn't work well, as riding vests typically have very large arm openings to allow for reach to the handlebars. Vertical hip carry may be an option, but I think it might be uncomfortable due to the seating position & the muzzle might become exposed (not the kind of attention I would want from LE - even though I am licensed for concealed carry). Although I have never carried using a horizontal belt cross-draw, it might seem to be the best alternative.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

Mak

------------------
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
Thomas Alva Edison

I pack a full size 1911 in a DeSantis Inner Piece or Milt Sparks Heritage IWB holster. Both have enough butt forward cant to keep the grip from printing too bad as long as the jacket or vest isn't too tight. I've been eyeballing the Coronado stuff myself but it's a little pricey for me right now.

If you can wear the IWB it's the way to go, for me anyway. For comparison, I'm 5-10/185lbs riding a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 with a Corbin Gunfighter seat. I ride to IDPA matches every chance I get.

Mikey

Butt-forward cross draw is excellent if it's comfortable for your physique. Printing is almost a non-issue when leaning or bending forward, as on a bike. A Mak would seem to be very size efficient in this role.

Mak,

>If there are any CCW motorcycle riders lurking about,
>would you be willing to share the ways you have discovered
>to effectively & discretely carry while riding?

I usually put my Kel-Tec P11 in a paddle holster which is adjusted for a high ride and wear it on my left side (butt forward, crossdraw) and then put my vest on over that. I've been thinking about an IWB holster but haven't picked one up yet.

I don't worry too much if the bottom of the holster shows a bit while riding because I have a Georgia CCW permit and it has never drawn any attention.

Hope this helps.

Joe/Ga

------------------
Georgia TFL'ers get together:
May 20, 2000-From 3pm to 6pm
Wolf Creek Indoor Range
See thread in Lock And Load forum.

Gunslinger and I distribute a holster that would make it easy to carry on a motorcycle or anywhere else, this thing can be worn under a lightweight shirt and the gun never seen. E-mail one of us if you want more information, it holds any size gun and it is $28 and comes in 3 different colors.

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT

When I still had my Seca, I'd carry in a tank bag. Didn't want to take the risk of going down with a bar of metal.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

I always carried strong side, in the pants.
It wasn't real comfortable though.
Depending on the bike you ride, SOB may be the best way to go, just wear a long enough shirt/vest.

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber

SOB can cause spinal injuries if you fall. So can IWB`s. I use a denim cutoff jacket with a Ted Blocker shoulder rig. Not for everyone as it does look a bit "outlaw". Then again, I ride a chopped Harley so I sort of blend in. :) Some of the newer stuff mentioned is probably good but after 30 years, I`ll stick with what I know.

Good Evening Everyone-

MakAttack, if you have a few dollars burnin' a hole in your pocket, you could call the folks at Langlitz Leathers in Portland, OR and look into one of their stunning jackets. Be prepared for a substantial waiting period for your jacket to be built.
http://www.langlitz.com

Deploying the sidearm while riding is highly unlikely, so have you considered a fanny pack? They're not the fastest rigs, but who cares while you're riding? Again, on a motorcyclist, this is a method of carry that wouldn't turn heads even for a second.

If, God forbid, you should ever go down, the sidearm would receive a bit of protection while if it was stored in a holster, it would probably go skittering across the Keystone State pavement at 65 m.p.h.. :(

Let us know how it works out.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

Back