How to carry gear?

tl

I am a relative newcomer to handgun shooting, having recently purchased a Sig P229 in .40 caliber. It's already a little cumbersome carrying everything to the range, and will probably get more so as I'm already contemplating a second handgun purchase. My Sig came with a hard plastic lockable case, but I'm wondering if I should instead get a soft canvas-like case (sorry, don't know what the 'official' name is) that holds only the gun, with a range bag. Any advice?

And how to carry the ammo? The firearms class I took said it's a no-no to put ammo and guns in the same case, so are there also ammo cases of some sort? Any help will be appreciated.

------------------
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

hmmmm, no ammo and gun is same case
confused.gif
Most range bags come with seperate compartments for ammo and gun. A friend of mine just bought a large range bag that holds four guns plus ammo and gear. Check with the range where you will be shooting. They will probably give you the best answer so that whatever you choose makes them feel comfortable and makes you feel comfortable.

Me, I carry redneck style, drop the ammo and gun in a bag and go, but then again the ranges I shoot at aren't very uptight and they know me fairly well. Of course I have one gun that doesn't fit in my bag, and I carry it in its original plastic box.

------------------
Know Yourself, Know Your Weapon, Know Your Enemy; then Know Victory! ---DaHaMac

I picked up a Dillon Range Bag, works great. I'm not sure why your instructor specifies no ammo and guns in the same case, unless he's worried about some state law about ammo and guns being together. I solved that problem by having a concealed carry permit. It eliminates the problem of transporting my guns, at least in my home state.

My understanding is that the 'no ammos and guns in the same bag rule' is a state regulation, not a specifically a range concern. The insturctor was an LEO from a major metro area nearby, so I presume he was speaking from training and/or experience. Actually, I think the idea is that guns and ammo be in separate locked containers, so if a range bag had two compartments that were separtely locked, it might be sufficient.

In this state, issuing a concealed carry permit is aparently under the authority of the county sheriff. Unfortunately, the county I'm in seems to be very reluctant in that regard, though I haven't actually applied to find out. There was a big to-do last year about this because the local paper published the list of all concealed permit holders. I wasn't a gun owner at the time, but even so it was apparent that the paper's motive was to push an anti-gun agenda.

Can you recommend a web site that has the Dillon bags? I'm not familiar with them.

------------------
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by tl (edited April 23, 2000).]

Here's the links to Dillon's homepage. http://www.dillonprecision.com/

To Dillon's range bags. http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=11&min=0&dyn=1&

There are other places to try also, shop around. Like midway http://www.midwayusa.com/home.html

Or here, this is the largest range bag I have seen, but they are temorarily out of stock. http://www.action-direct.com/70.htm

I hope this helps.

------------------
Know Yourself, Know Your Weapon, Know Your Enemy; then Know Victory! ---DaHaMac

tl - Your understanding of the transportation of firearms / ammo being dictated by state law is correct.

In CA, any firearm transported in an unlocked case must be stored in the trunk of the vehicle. If ammo and firearms are carried in the passenger compartment, both must be stored in separate locked containers.

I can only surmise that such laws exist to protect others from my baser instincts. Yeah. Right. :rolleyes:

Cliff

I got a a great Bagmaster Bag from www.midwayusa.com for $35 delivred. It's very well made of thick cordura. I've had for two years now and I treat roughly. So far not a single problem. I recommend them.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Back