How strong an action (Handi-Rifle in 45-70)?

prichard,

my father has two new england firearms handi-rifles and numerous barrels for each including a 45-70. he has been reloading for over 35 years and works up some very interesting loads including plenty of "hot rod" loads for the 45-70 that will make your shoulder ache after just a few rounds. by the way, he regularly shoots 1 to 1.5 moa groups with moly coated home made cartride case bullets. as far as i know he hasn't had any problems the guns besides snapping a few firing pins. he isn't really familiar to the computer but he is pretty interested in the tfl so i am going to try to get him online this week. if you have any other questions, just send me mail and i will ask him.

I bought an NEF Handi-Rifle in .223 for my son. The fitting is abominable, but its plenty accurate and I wanted him to have a single-shot for his first deer rifle.
The only real problem was that the action would sometimes pop open when he fired the gun. Not a good thing since the ejector is quite strong and it throws empties back in the shooters face when that happens.
Had it fixed, cut the barrel and stock down to 6 year old child size and he's taken two deer with that rifle.
Just replaced it a couple of weeks ago with a Thompson Center Youth Carbine and passed the rifle along to a friends 7 year old son.

Not bad for a $119 rifle.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Back