How potent are .410 slugs

cornered rat

If I have done the math correctly, 410 slugs weight about 1/5 oz. or just under 6g. That is about the weight of a 9x18 Makarov bullet. The slug velocity is 1400fps or so, vs. 1000fps for a Mak round. That is about the velocity of a .357 round with half the bullet weight. However, people hunt deer with 410 slugs. Seems that it is an anemic round compared even to .30 carbine, but in practice, it works well. What gives?

When people hunt dear with ANY shotgun it is usally because of a legal reastriction agint the use of a rifle. The .410 is quite litterly .41cal and probably a smothe bore, probably in the same class as a .30 carbine or a .357 mag lever gun. But NOT as accurate past 35yards to 50yards (your milage may vary)

Years ago, while accompanying my father-in- law (cop), I witnessed the effects of a .410 (67 gauge) slug. Seems a father-in-law took offense at his drunk son-in-law slapping his (drunk's) wife. One shot in the sternum. I followed the ambulance and state trooper from the city limit sign to the hospital. Son-in- law was Dead-on-Arrival.

A .41 caliber hole is significant. IMHO, we place way too much emphasis on bullet velocity. Large slug, well-placed seem to do the job of stopping aggressors.

Back