how often to oil the main spring?

old fart

i have a ruger lcr revolver, i wipe it down each day after i am through carrying it. i have oiled the mainspring a couple times in two years, it seems fine and rust free but dry each time i have done it. should i oil it more often?, less? i don't want to take the grip off any more than necessary, i use mobile one and barricade as my oil. thanks

Gitch you some RIG gun grease! Wipe down the spring and it won't soon become dry. It really sticks to the metal and will not run like oil. Won't attract grit if you only use a light coat. The stuff is awesome!!

A liitle swipe of

"Super Lube" will do the same.

You in a high temperature area?? oil evaporating?

Use a grease will help.

I have never oiled the main spring on my SW or Colt revolvers -- they are great shooters. "How often"? Never.

.02. David. :)

Same here, I just wipe it down and re-install. I have never had a malfunction due to the main spring cleaning this way.

Howdy

On a revolver I have completely disassembled and degreased, I will put a light coating of oil on the hammer spring to prevent rust, just like any other metal part.

Other than that, there is no need to oil a hammer spring.

"What you are using is fine. I would avoid grease like the plague. Maybe, MAYBE on the frame rails."

Frame rails?

Other than the Webley Fosberry Automatic, revolvers don't have frame rails...

"I have never oiled the main spring on my SW or Colt revolvers"

I use grease on the mainspring where it joins with the hammer stirrup.

I don't oil my mainspring, except as another poster noted except to provide the lightest of wipes after cleaning with a de-greaser if I have event to do so, which is very rare.

"What you are using is fine. I would avoid grease like the plague. Maybe, MAYBE on the frame rails."

Frame rails?

Other than the Webley Fosberry Automatic, revolvers don't have frame rails...

LOL, Missed that...... Nope no grease at all on a wheelgun.......Not to mention no lube required on the mainspring.

"...seems fine and rust free..." Rule Number One. It works. Don't fix it.
Haven't ever oiled any spring on any firearm. Not even when in The Queen's Service.

Never oiled the springs in a gun either. Clean and wipe revolver parts, done. Never used grease in a revolver either. Just light oil in appropriate spots (listed in owner's manual).

Well, ok, in the Queen's Service at our age we are forced to go with a little H2O latex lube -- I prefer the Peachy Lips or Razzzzberry formulas. Maybe I'll give a shot or two of it to my SW or Colt main springs. Will report back.

.02 David. ;)

I have a bucket of revolvers and never oil springs. If I strip one down bear and
do a complete cleaning I wipe it with a light oil as I would any other part.

Back