How often do you remove sideplate?

Valdez

How often do you remove the sideplate to inspect the innards of your revolvers? I'll admit I've never done it, I don't have properly sized screwdrivers and I don't want to mangle the alloy frame.

Oh, and I noted that the S&W manual says to lightly oil the inner mechanism when preparing the gun for long-term storage yet they don't say how to do this.

I have only removed the sideplate on 1 of my many revolvers. Unless you think it must be done (got wet/sandy)I have no reason to mess with it.

Make sure you get the right screwdrivers first if you decide you must. I seldom will buy a used gun if the screws are mangled since it always makes me think someone messed with the insides and I now have to guess what they might have done.

The one that I have had apart is one that Pachmyer (sp) customized for me as a carry gun. It has allen head screws in it which is a big improvement since they are harder to mess up.

The answer is NEVER. If you have a malfunction or have dropped the gun in water or mud you might have to. Inspection of the internal parts is never necessary unless you have a malfunction or some significant change in the FEEL of the gun when you pull the trigger. It takes a proper screwdriver AND some common sense to take the sideplate off. Ruining the screws and sideplate is akin to running a new car backwards into a wall at 20mph. Sure, you are probably going to be able to drive it for years afterwards but it looks like crap and you can't sell it for as much.

Please note that S&W also suggests that they should maintain a record of every person who owns a gun and that civilians should not own guns.

I remove the sideplate when I do a thorough, complete cleaning, usually ever 500 to 1000 rounds.

I use grease on the internals on my revolvers, which provides long-term lubrication. Oil will eventually run out of the area, depending on its viscosity, leaving you with dry parts.

As long as you take your time, use the proper screw drivers, and make sure you get the screws back into their correct holes, you'll do OK.

Also, NEVER EVER pry the side plate off of a revolver. That is the easiest way to warp the side plate, ruining its fit to the frame.

I remove mine about every 2000 rds.I too use grease on the inside works.The only thing is if you are unsure of what you are doing get someone to show you the correct way.Easy to mess things up.

I do it usually for only 3 reasons:
1. When I get a new revolver--there is usually too much oil in there and I want to inspect the parts.
2. When I do a trigger job.
3. When I buy a used gun.
I have spare screw, even with the right tools I slip.

Try Miculek's tape on trigger jobs; it shows the right steps; never pry on parts; tapping works.

Unless you like messed up screw heads, scratches on the frame, and beat up side plate edges, the best advice is never. Even water and dirt can be blown out with a good spray cleaner, or by "dunking" the whole gun, without removing the side plate. Occasional removal of the screw holding the crane may be a good idea to clean the cylinder/crane area when it gets really cruddy.

Jim

Whether the sideplate is removed or not depends on the mechanical aptitude, knowledge and skill of the individual. I have one friend who has no business disassembling an SKS (really!). Other folks are just whizzes and can work on practically anything. There are inherent dangers in fiddling with a gun and our members have mentioned some of them. Other things which can happen is improper reassembly or attempted reassembly which can warp the sideplate. Lesser things include losing parts or confusing the screws (those sideplate screws are not interchangeable).

There's a thread in the Smithy forum on how to disassemble the S&W revolver and how the internal parts interact. If you would like to read it, do a search under my name: 4V50 Gary

I routinely disassemble EVERY new gun that comes into the 3-5-7 household...for inspection, cleaning and lubrication. After that, I'll remove the sideplate every year or two to re-lube...IF the gun is one that DOES NOT get a lot of use. IF its one that gets used on a regular basis, I may remove the sideplate every six months or so...in conjunction with a "Major" cleaning...FWIW....mikey357

Nonsense...

"The answer is NEVER." -- Badger Arms

A good set of gunsmith bits will set you back $15; a hammer with hard plastic head...$4-5; those and a little common sense [i.e., pay attention to HOW to remove/replace a sideplate] will let you inspect, clean, lubricate and...eventually...do your own trigger jobs.

In addition, removing the crane to further inspect, clean and lube when a revolver's cylinder/star extractor/etc. get really dirty is a good thing.

That's usually accomplished by removing one screw...make sure you use the correct bit.

After all, it's a machine...not a computer. ;)

Zander:

Reread my post. He asked how often I remove my sideplate for inspection of the innards. I NEVER do this. I do, however, take them off all the time on rusted guns or guns which are malfunctioning. I have never done a trigger job on a Smith, Taurus, or Colt and wouldn't suggest any amatures do it either. If the guy doesn't have the proper tools now, chances are he's not the whiz-bang gunsmith you and I may be. If it ain't broken, there's no reason to fix it.

I second what others have said about taking the crane off which only requires one screw... not the whole sideplate. I can't tell you how many revolvers I've inspected over the years that have had dinner-table gunsmiths 'tinker' with. Most of the time, they are ruined. Bent sideplates, scratched and buggered screw heads, bent pins, springs missing, etc. There is absolutely no good reason to open up your gun IMHO unless you are having problems with it.

Next time you single somebody out, make sure they said what you think they said.

It's not really a big thing, but anyone who is remotely interested should enroll into the NRA Gunsmithing Program. They've got short 1 or 2 week courses which teaches you anything from working on revolvers, to pistols, to building varmint rifles, refinishing guns, stockmaking, shotgun repairs, knife making. Cost is very reasonable and I myself have taken quite a number of those courses. So, do something different for yourself this summer. Go back to school, NRA Gunsmithing School. It's a lot of fun and well worth the ducats.

Sorry...did you mean something else?

"If you have a malfunction or have dropped the gun in water or mud you might have to. Inspection of the internal parts is never necessary unless you have a malfunction or some significant change in the FEEL of the gun when you pull the trigger." -- Badger Arms

This seems pretty clear, don't you agree?

I, on the other hand, subscribe to the idea that there isn't necessarily a mystic quality to removal of a sideplate... not to mention the inherent curiosity that some of us have.

Should you be mucking about if you don't know what you're doing? Absolutely not!

Should you be intimidated and decline to learn how to inspect, lubricate and/or improve your revolver? Not unless you think yourself incapable of performing basic mechanical procedures [and I have a shooting buddy who says just that].

Just as some folks pay others to change the oil in their cars, some pay 'smiths to rework their wheelguns.

To each his own...but I'll be doing my own work when I can.

I'm going to be doing an action job on a friend's 29 in a couple of weeks.

This will be the 22nd S&W revolver that I've done that on.

I'm self-taught, with the aid of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book.

To date, I've ruined one piece, which I had to replace. Everything else has turned out roses.

As far as removing a revolver sideplate is concerned, I'm happy to leave it to someone more knowledgeable and skilled than myself, having learned this lesson the hard way.

Back