How often do you clean it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heywood

Inactive
Your gun that is. I have fired 500 factory rounds (in 2 weeks time) through my new Ruger P97 without a hitch. Gun owner manuals seldom suggest a cleaning frequency, so I am wondering whether I should tear the pistol down and clean it, or let it go for now. It doesn't look particularly in need of a cleaning to my untrained eye. Any comments, rules of thumb or other suggestions re frequency of cleaning would be greatly appreciated by this first-time .45 owner.

[This message has been edited by Heywood (edited November 05, 1999).]

How often do I clean it? Everytime I shower.
Ha, ha, ha!

Seriously, I clean my guns after every shoot-
ing session, and if I'm going to store them
for a long period of time. If I'm going to
shoot on a couple of consecutive days,
though, I'll clean them after I'm finished
with the last day. Some people might call it
overkill, but I hate a dirty weapon.
DAL

Personally, I clean after every shooting session, this being especially true of simi-auto weapons. You can't really "overClean" a gun if you stick with the normal by-the-book proceedures. However a little oil is good & necessary, but be careful not to over oil it.

After every shooting session. If you take care of it it will take care of you.

------------------
TJS

Except for one bolt-action .22 I have, I try to clean the guns at once after using them. I tend to shoot a lot at one time, so cleaning restores proper functioning AND allows me to check for defects/damage/etc.

Rarely. If it doesn't work when it's dirty I don't want it.

Scrub out the bore pretty regular, though. And liberal applications of BreakFree.

I shoot some of my guns 100+ rounds a week. I constantly test ammo. If I were to clean after each shooting session I'd just be cleaning guns!

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Every time they're fired, and every other week for my carry guns. It's like changing the oil in the truck. It may not need it, but is it worth the risk?

90% of firearms malfunctions may be traced to the gun being dirty.

The Ruger P97 is a very robust, well engineered firearm which can take a substantial amount of neglect and abuse. Ruger fired something on the order of 20,000 rounds through one without any appreciable signs of wear. Because of the additional rail (look at the front of the slide beneath the muzzle), the P97 is more accurate that its all metal brethen, the P91. Thanks to the constant evolving of designs on the P series pistols, the P97 has fewer parts which thankfully makes the gunsmith or armorer's job easier. The gun was tested by one agency in the rain and at no time was there a problem with purchasing the grip.

Despite all the testing and engineering involved, you should still clean it after every range trip.

BTW, hang onto your P97 and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 45 caliber carbine some day which will take the same magazines.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond. The P97 is only the second gun I've ever owned. The first was a Beretta Model 21-A in .25, since sold. My question regarding P97 frequency of cleaning was driven by a statement in the Beretta owner's manual to the effect that "Excessive tearing down for the purpose of cleaning" did more harm than good owing to wear on parts and effect on tolerances. I couldn't recall if Beretta was talking specifically about the 21-A, or guns in general.

[This message has been edited by Heywood (edited November 05, 1999).]

vhbjhikol, Sorry cleaning rod hit key board, I clean all my guns every morning.

Seriously, after each shooting session unless multiday then at end as DAL said, one thing I like about 1911 is that I can take down to bare frame, all componets, save sights, plunger tube (staked on) and ejector don't know of any other auto pistol 9mm+ that can do this easily, I know Hk (USP) cannot.

Heywood:

Here is the tip I've read from a certain site in the internet of Maintenance Schedule:

Clean and lube (routine)
* Lead bullet use : every 300-500 rounds
* Jacketed bullets: every 500-700 rounds
* Carry pistols : once a month
Clean and lube (thorough)
* Every 5000 rounds and/or every 3 months, the pistol should be fully disassembled, cleaned and lubricated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back