How much should I ask?

Picher

I have a perfect Tikka 595 in .223 Rem with a 4.5-14X Mueller scope mounted. It's been pillar-bedded and shoots 1/4" groups at 100 yards with handloads.

The rifle isn't used a whole lot, since I bought another one that is lighter to carry and shoots about as well.

My B-I-L has shot it and is thinking about buying it. How much do you think should I ask from a relative for this fine rifle?

To make things a complicated, he's recently been told that he'll be undergoing dialysis soon.

It is also a good rifle for the grandkids to shoot at the range, so I may need to replace it.

I'd appreciate any comments, as I'm torn.

Attachments

• Tikka3.JPG
    Tikka3.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 73
Selling to relatives/close friends is always touchy.

Bottom line I think you have to consider how much you have invested in the rifle & scope and what a replacement will cost.

You might try searching GB under sold auctions and see what they are bringing or search armslist to see what prices they are asking.

One other thought would be to semi-permanently loan it to the BIL until the grandkids need it.

Wow, you could go a lot of ways with this.

How about pricing up the closest NEW Tikka rifle that is comparable, the closest NEW Mueller scope that is comparable, check those prices on some online retailer that has them IN STOCK and then call yours 60-70% of that price, include shipping.

I wouldn't say it is fair to price it at replacement -- we aren't looking for insurance value and you aren't being forced to get rid of it. You are choosing to sell it and it is -NOT- new and unless it is something out of production and specifically sought after for a certain reason, it simply doesn't have new/replacement value in any normal scenario.

^^ that's how I usually sell. if it's in great condition and not burned out, I just take the new price and take off 25-30%. drop a few bucks for dents and dings. the scope and mounts? I would just add 50% of the cost of the scope and eat the mount. pillar bedding? I don' think that will constitute a return on investment

I pay up to 80% retail for a firearm still in production in LNIB condition. Anything I can argue under 60% with someone who knows what they are about is past the condition I am interested.
50% for the scope would only be if I'd had recent experience with it. The scopes have so little value attached to A rifle I have never sold one.

If you are going to replace it with the same rifle I don't know why ou would sell it. Guide him to another used rifle.

You can always use my motto " Buy high and then give it away" , expensive way to be popular with your friends.

I decided to keep the rifle and let my B-I-L use it at the range. If he really wants a .223 bolt rifle, I'll guide him to one that should be fine for him.

Thanks for all the comments. They really helped.

JP

Back