How much should a Model 29 at 98% go for...

Greeting's;

Tough question, how much is it worth to you? In my case, I wouldn't recommend paying over $450.00; lock, stock, and
barrel. Blued 29's although beautiful, have lost some of their
luster; seems like everyone want's the stainless version's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

maxinquaye, don't believe him. He's just trying to talk you down so he can have it himself. This is obvious!

justinr1

Greeting's justinr1, my friend

Having owned numerous Smith & Wesson model 29's in both blue and nickel finish, with various barrel length's; I don't think I need
another.:D The one I presently own, a Smith & Wesson 629-5 Classic is the one I have shot the most often. So thanks justin for the gesture; but I'll leave that one for someone else.:):D

Best Wishes,

PS: Justin, what would you be willing to pay for the same outfit?

Maxinquaye.......... ¿ 8 3/4" barrel ? Was that a typo and it is really an 8 3/8" barrel ? ¿ If truly factory 8 3/4, does it have three screws in the sideplate (one under the grip) AND a screw in front of the trigger guard. (access to cylinder stop spring) ? If so, I would add at least $200 to the previous estimates.

Sam, not in the market but veeery curious.

There are several versions of the Model 29.

Model 29/29-2 ( 3 Screw) 98% $550.00

Model 29 98% $335.00
Add $12 for 8 3/8 in. barrel
Add $11 for nickel finish
Add 10%-15% for pinned barrel and recessed cylinder, depending on condition.
Add $45.00 for combat grips with scope mount-disc.1991 8 3/8 in. barrel only.

Model 29 Classic 98% $375.00

Blue Book of Gun Values 20th Edition S.P. Fjestad

Whichever price you agree on, I call that a bargain for the best 44 Magnum on the face of the planet. :D

i need to replace my anaconda and have always wanted a mod 29.the ruger SRH dont do anything for me.i would buy another anaconda(fantastic trigger) but im unwilling to pay what they go for nowadays.i bought my anaconda 8 inch for 500 out the door NIB just 4 years ago.now i hear the new ones(when ever they appear ) will run around a grand.no thanks .and all the used ones go for 800 in my area,sometimes more.just not worth that much money even though its a great gun.i think ill pick up a used 29.

Ala Dan, I'm in the market (when I have the funds), for a 8-3/8 629 DX, which is a tad more expensive than the 29. Up here in Maryland I probably would fork out $450 if the piece was truly 98%. If I were in Alabama I would pay about $50 less, because I could get away with it, me thinks.

justinr1

Greeting's Again justinr1,

You might could get the 8-3/8" Smith model 29 for $400.00 here in Alabama; due to the fact us folks
down south don't hunt with "long tom's". In most
case's, a 6" barrel on top-notch revolver's would
do the trick. My 629 Classic has a 5" barrel;
which is of course, my favorite. My 686 has a
6" barrel, and both are extremely accurate. Over
on Guns America I saw an L-frame 686 with a 8-3/8"
barrel; price = $750.00. These must be rare pieces
indeed!!!

Best Wishes,

It always amazes me that Guns America has prices above retail. The 686 8-3/8 is not that difficult to find. The main reason I like the longer barrels is for sight radius and velocity. The guns weigh a ton and are muzzle heavy to say the least. I don't care. Magnums are easiest to shoot in the 8 inch plus range, despite the drawbacks. With these heavy guns I have more advantages than disadvantages. At least to me.

justinr1

I am the proud owner of a like new, Model 29 6.5" pinned barrel, with recessed cylinders, which was the original Dirty Harry model,. Which was so much in demand, that you had to pay a deposit and get on a list at gun shops back then those days.

7th

Hrm, well, I probably paid too much - I got a 29-2 in what I would think is 98% - I say that only because I can't find much of anything wrong with it - but I doubt it's 100%.
Paid $500 for it, but that's here in Kalifornia - had to get it off consignment, so I feel lucky to even get one. Guess it really is subjective, cause I don't feel ripped off in the least :-)
I don't know much about all the recessed this and pinned that. I'm sure my 29 has screws somewhere, but that three screw thing sounded kinda tricky too. Is there a web resource where I can find out exactly what features mine has?

I can believe you paid $500 for it in California. Good attitude though. If you like a firearm, really like it, as long as you are in the ballpark you haven't paid too much.

justinr1

This is just a lil remembrance:

When I first wanted to buy a 44 Magnum S&W back in the 60s they were only available to cops. Everybody else had to go on a waiting list. Still, S&W sold all they made. I consider it a great thing that you can walk into most any gun store today and walk out with a S&W 44 Magnum. :cool:

S+W 44mag

Not all of us yankees like long tubes ,I have shot a few deer with my 4"629-5. But I also like to hunt them with traditional archery equipment so I guess it all depends on your hunting style and how close you get to the animal.Besides you might be surprised what those short tubes are capable of there Justin.

I have no doubt what some people can do with a 4 inch. But you are shooting 44 mag, not .357. Anything less than 6 inches in 357 is not decisive, shall we say? I'm not a great natural shot. I take EVERY advantage I can get. Weight, velocity, muzzle blast as far away from the face to reduce flinching. And at 50 yards, I do have an advantage with sight radius. As I said, I'm not a great NATURAL shot. I need all the help I can get. Also, it looks cool. I'll keep my 8 inches, you keep your 4s. Everybody is happy. A win-win!

justinr1

Back