How much +p is too much....??

andreb

First of all let me say that even being new to tfis forum I'm very happy and impressed with how much I have learned here, thank you guys for it!!!

Now my question:

How much +p shooting should be done with my new (soon to arrive) Taurus 85 Multialloy. I'll probably be practicing with regular 38 Leads but to be confident with my new gun I must experience it with the ammo I will be using on daily basis. This is my first 38 ( my other gun is a Glock 25) so it will take some time and lots of shooting to be at the level I want to be. I want to know how much more wear will the +p cause to my new CCW.

OH, by the way, if anybody is wondering why I only have a .380 and soon a 38, it is because that's all good citizens are allowed to carry here in Brazil acording to the law. The bad guys can have pretty much whatever they want. Sucks!!!!

Thak you all for the help.

I am not familiar with that gun, and can only suggest asking Taurus. But in general, +P and +P+ loads in a good .38 revolver (but not +P rated) will not cause any immediate problems. What canl happen is that the top strap will stretch slightly with each round. The effect of any single round is inconsequential, but the cumulative effect can add up to a gun that won't function or, at worst, comes apart.

How many rounds? I don't know, there are too many factors involved. Some heavy frame .38's will never have a problem, even with +P+. Light frames and alloy frames can begin to have trouble in as little as 100 rounds.

Ordinarily, I recommend some practice with the carry load, but in your case, I would do so only enough to get familiar with the feel of the hot load, perhaps 2-3 cylinder loads, and stick to the standard .38 the rest of the time. BTW, there are, at least in this country, a number of factory .38 Special loads that have more power than the old lead bullet, but are fine even in light revolvers.

Jim

Back