How much is it worth?

amx4080

Hi, first post here, but I have read plenty over the years.

How many times have you asked what a C&R is worth? Or would you like to know what you should expect to pay if you're looking for your next C&R? What's a fair price if you ever sell a C&R from your collection? I had those questions, so I wrote software to scan auction sites and message boards and record the asking prices and selling prices. The data my software collects during the scans is presented at the GunStockmarket.

Currently, the site is focused on what I am actively collecting but I am adding tracking for additional firearms as I have time. You'll find data on most Mosin Nagants, varieties of SKS and others. Reports on the asking prices and sale prices are available, as well as links to the original auction or posting.

I hope you find it valuable. There is no fee to use. I've learned a lot about older firearms from C&R related message boards and this is my attempt at giving something back. Enjoy.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Yes, other firearms will come. 1911's are high on my list, my trouble there is in breaking them down into reasonable groups while still presenting all the varieties that collectors are interested in so you don't have to wade through a ton of entries just to find the specific variation you're interested in. While I own a couple 1911's, I'm by no means and expert on 1911's. I think this will be a never ending task :)

Enjoy, I hope the site brings you value.

interesting concept however... it can use improvements.

its funny that an m1 garand is roughly 1016.88 cents right now, but has gone down 1,080 dollars in the last 10 days. that needs a fix.

also have you considered that for most milsurps, that the price is not a generic one?

for example the mosin nagant rifle, each reciever modification, each arsenal mark, matchingnumbers, will impact the value massively. its been normal to talk to guys who got russian arsenal refurbs for 80 dollars in the mail, and found them to have the scope mount holes with solder in them..

hi-c9 said:
Thank you so much I have been searching for a website like this.

I'm very glad you found some value in the site. Hope it helps your collecting!

Newton24b said:
its funny that an m1 garand is roughly 1016.88 cents right now, but has gone down 1,080 dollars in the last 10 days. that needs a fix.

The seven day average is $1,088.45, current average is $1,040.07. The red arrow shows the current asking price is down compared to the seven day average (data as of 12/13, 5:30pm). Since $1,040.07 is less than $1,088.45, I believe there is nothing to fix: 1040.07 < 1088.45. Thanks for pointing out that the presentation of the data isn't as clear as it could be, it's something to work on for sure and I am open to suggestions. Question back to you is: how would you present that information?

Newton24b said:
also have you considered that for most milsurps, that the price is not a generic one?

for example the mosin nagant rifle, each reciever modification, each arsenal mark, matching numbers, will impact the value massively. its been normal to talk to guys who got russian arsenal refurbs for 80 dollars in the mail, and found them to have the scope mount holes with solder in them..

Exactly. Did you also inspect the detailed listings? Something under the "Quick Links" section such as the details for an M38? Not perfect, but it gets closer to the goal.

I fully admit there are limitations. Without inspecting pictures - as a human would - there is a limit to the details that I can present based upon scanning the text alone. I'd like to point out that the entire system is software, not my opinion on the listing. I do not have time to search 1,000's of auction listings every day and create HTML pages, that's why the software I wrote scans the pages, and the presentation is dynamic based on the data gathered. The auctions and message boards are scanned and read by software automatically (once an hour). Images are not inspected by my software, and I am currently unaware of any software that can look at random images of rifles taken from all angles (and that software would also have to know how to disregard the common picture of a rifle with the stocking feet in the picture :D ) and determine that the Mosin Nagant in question has the screw holes for a scope filled (one of many examples). If you know of code that does the task of inspecting images for filled screw holes which would make the Mosin Nagant in question an ex-sniper, I'd really like to know about that code; open source Java code would be great (with an acceptable license to keep the site free), and I'll incorporate that concept if you can point me to some code with such functionality.

I'm hopeful that correcting spelling, and other text, is helpful to the search efforts of many people. That's something I've been working on since I get frustrated with searching on so many auction sites. I'd love to discuss topics like the Levensthein algorithm and how applying it relates to the text of firearm auctions.

Thank you for taking a look, I do appreciate the feedback.

I have a hard time with many of the asking prices I see on Gunbroker and elsewhere.

Actual selling prices is what I look at, the completed auctions on Gunbroker helps.

CMP sells Garands at half what the auction numbers are.

madcratebuilder said:
Actual selling prices is what I look at, the completed auctions on Gunbroker helps.

That is exactly why I'm tracking selling prices. Here's the report for the last 90 days for both GunBroker and AuctionArms for the M1 Garand. Reports for all the firearms currently tracked are available. That report gives a wider picture than the GunBroker report alone.

Sure, CMP sells Garands for half of what is asked for on the auction sites, that fact shouldn't be an epiphany for anyone with a C&R license. It is an equally true fact that many Garands sell on auction sites.

Back