How much for a trigger job?

Futo Inu

If you buy a rifle from a "liability-conscious" manufacturer who puts a 10-poundish pull on a hunting rifle, what does it usually run to get it reduced and/or increase the smoothness?

Futo. I had a Model 70 Winchester done for $45. Went from about 8 pounds to a very smooth 2.5 pounds. Prices varied from about $25 for one that could be done simply by doing the screws, to $45 for more complicated jobs that required machine work or hand stoning to smooth out.
Paul B.

On this same subject.. How dificult is it do adjust the trigger pull on a Rem 700 BDL? I wouldn't mind spending the 40 to 50 bucks but due to the time of yeay everybody is pretty busy, as in see you in a month. i measure almost 6.5 lbs right now. Too much!I did my Savage 111 no problem thanks to some good instruction gotten off the web. Thanks

Clint, not a big problem. There was a set of instructions on the web. Some points to consider. I understand that Remington says if the seals are broken all warranties are void. And of course, if there is an accident, tampering with the factory pull would count against the gun owner, even if trigger pull had nothing to do with the accident.

Jim

Please let me say this. I have a Remington
40 XBR with a 2 oz trigger and have never had
an accidental discharge! It has no safety either but you know the drill.
I am willing to pay the cost of a trigger and smith work to get it right on the 700 PSS that I just got. The trigger is terrible!
I could spend around a hundred bucks on a trigger and put it in myself but the engagement on the bolt is looking a bit strange to me as well! I think that I will let Billy look at it and pay the piper!
Hank

I had a trigger job done on my Rem. 700 a couple months ago. It went from nothing short of terrible to smooth as glass for $40.

It's now at a crisp 2.75lbs with no creep, no over-travel.

You could do it yourself, but why not get it right the first time if the gunsmith is capable?

------------------
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. ~~Etienne de Grellet

I'm with M.Sneak. If you ask a gunsmith about rates to do trigger jobs, he'll ask you what kind of rifle you have. If you say Remington 700 or Winchester M-70, listen closely for the sigh of relief he lets out, as he quotes anywhere from $30-$60. I know one guy (semi-retired) who was doing them for $25, 3 years ago. But just say "new model Ruger M-77", and watch his face screw up. He'll say "replacement trigger group" so fast your head will spin. My acquaintence in N. TX used to do teh New Model Rugers, but he said it was so close to impossible, most gunsmiths will simply tell you it can't be done. In that case, you're into $65+ for a Timney or like trigger, + fitting and installation.

Good luck!

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Guy's, with the blessing of my local gunsmith mentor I just completed my first Remington 700 trigger "adjustment" It took about 20 min. to get it out of the stock, make the adjustments do the testing and let the thread sealer work! It is WAY MORE BETTER!!!

Let me say that I am a hobby gunsmith and I understand trigger geometry etc. If you feel good playing with the Winchester trigger you will not be up against a brick wall here.

The instructions as found on the web are good but require that you know what you are trying to do. The steps are a good guide but that is all.

I am now a very happy Remington PSS owner!

Good Shooting to All but Be SAFE!
Hank

Back