How much for a M1 carbine?

chadintex

I just talked to a guy who has a M1 carbine with a retractable stock, forward mounted pistol grip and 7 30 round mags in an aluminum case. He wants $500 for the whole set. Is this too much? I don't know who made the gun, but it the fit and finish are real nice.

------------------
Beware the three D's: The dumb, drunk, and deranged. Chadintex@hotmail.com

There are two types of M1 Carbines: The original USGI issue and the commercial versions. If it is a commercial version, take a BIG step backward and keep walking! The commercial versions are generally not very good (and they tend to cost the same as a GI gun).

In order to find out whether it is USGI or commercial, look at the manufacturer. If it is a USGI gun, you will find the manufacturer on the receiver, just under and behind the rear site. This website lists ALL manufacturers of USGI M1 Carbines, and a short history: http://fulton-armory.com/M1Carbine.htm
If it is not made by one of these companies, it is to be avoided at all costs. Companies that made commercial verstions are: Iver Johnson, Plainfield, & Universal.

There is a new batch of commercial carbines that have just started to be released. The company is called IMI. I have heard good things about these guns, however, I'd still go for a USGI model...

Is this gun worth $500? Hard to tell without looking at it in person. If it is a commercial version, I would pass on it. You can find USGI carbines at most gunshows for $400 and up.

HTH!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gino:
Is this gun worth $500? Hard to tell without looking at it in person. If it is a commercial version, I would pass on it. You can find USGI carbines at most gunshows for $400 and up.
HTH!
[/quote]

I think any USGI M1 Carbine in good condition has rocketed past the $400 price range as a rule.
smile.gif

Thanks guys. I have decided to save my money and spend it on an AK instead. $500 dollars is a lot of money to spend on something when the AK does the same job better for less. When I get a day off from work, I'm gonna see my dealer about one of those Romanian SAR-1's. It should compliment my new Glock nicely. Anyway, thanks again for the help guys.

Back