How much do your balls weigh?

Remington kid

Not trying to get personal here:D My scales are really cheap and I'm trying to figure out haw many .454 balls I can cast per pound of lead. Also want to figure the same for .380 balls. Thought some of you might know just what they weigh or at least an average. Thanks , Mike

Attention grabbing thread title! :D
A Shooters Bible Black Powder Guide that I have says a .38 lead ball should be 96 to the pound. A .45, 48 to the pound.

Mike, if you got a .380 mould, go for 85 to the pound, 82 gr per ball, if you got a .375 mould, 71 gr per ball, 98 per pound.

Cheers,

George

Calculating Round Ball Weight

If you know the weight of any round lead ball you can calculate the weight of any other ball with the following formula:
(1.333 x (Pi x Radius cubed)) gives you the volume of the ball. Divide the volume of the unknown ball by the volume of the known ball. (if the known ball is larger than the unknown this result will be less than 1) Multiply the weight of the known ball by that number and the product is the weight of the unknown.
If the two balls are of a different alloy, the result will not be exact, but will still be extremely close.

In the interest of being exact, the 1.333 figure in the formula is actually 4/3, I just find it easier to use converted to decimal.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a poem that starts out,
"My name is Dan Cana
My wife's name is Anna
My ballocks weigh 44 pound......."

the rest of the poem is too nasty to print

Back