how much accuracy will I lose cutting my 27" 91/30 mosin nagant barrel down to 22-24"

40caliber

Inactive
hello I have a mosin nagant 91/30 and I know some people frown upon tinkering with them, But I have an aftermarket stock for it and with the stock 27 inch barrel, and i have a local gunsmith who owes me a favor, I wanted to cut the barrel down to 22-24" and Im wondering how much accuracy I will lose, some say I will gain because of less barrel vibration, I like shooting around 500 yrd range and just want to know how bad it will hurt me, thank you guys for all your help, you have been so kind and helpful, Iron sights arent an issue by the way, have a 4-20x50mm scope eith custom mount and bolt handle

how much accuracy will I lose cutting my 27" 91/30 mosin nagant barrel down to 22-24"
You may not lose any accuracy at all, but you will lose about 50 fps of velocity for each inch of barrel cut off.

My guess is that if done properly--good crown work--you'll improve the accuracy, but as others have stated, you'll loose a little velocity.

Good luck.

You will have a better balanced rifle the will be easier to shoot.

The recrowning of the barrel will increase the accuracy of the rifle.

Velocity loss could will been very minimal. 22" is a really good length,

Have the throat inspected, if it is damage/worn the smith could cut a thread off the barrel and recut the chamber. This with the recrowning would give you basically a new barrel.

My M44 was laser accurate to 100 yards (all the farther I shot it.)
My guess is that if you keep your barrel more than 20" long, you're going to do even better than I did.

If you're going to cut the barrel, you should push a lead slug through and find the tightest point within the range of lengths that is acceptable to you. If you find that the original muzzle diameter is the tightest, cutting the barrel may result in reduced accuracy.

Military barrels probably vary in bore diameter more than target barrels, which are slugged prior to cutting/threading to find the tight spot and that end is chosen for the muzzle and cut at the tightest point.

In any case a good crowning job is essential for good accuracy.

As stated above: good crowning, slight loss of velocity. If your original crown is damaged or not quite uniform, re-crowning will increase your accuracy.

Back