How many states allow carry in bars?

rburch

So I'm helping my little brother do a paper on restaurant carry for his english class.

Seem to have trouble getting a firm number from interwebs.

I was wondering how many states allow concealed carry in places that serve alcohol?

I realize it's not concrete since here in Virginia it's pretty much passed, but not in effect yet.

The NRA site should have all this info: Just need to go state by state.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=ND

May be good to distinguish between, restaurants that serve alcohol and bars, as well as states that allow open carry but not concealed and visa-versa.

VA allows open carry in restaurants that serve alcohol but not concealed and has no bars.

In Idaho, there is only one prohibition against carrying into bars or restaurants: You may not be intoxicated (18-3302B). Intoxicated being defined as having a BAC of .08 or greater (18-8004(1) - Motor Vehicle Code).

The above code applies specifically to concealed carry. AFAIK, there is no specific State code that applies to open carry.... But I'm sure they will nail you for something, probably a county or city code violation.

Colorado law is like Idaho law immediately above: you can carry and drink as long as your blood-alcohol content remains below .08%.

In Michigan you can OPEN carry if you have a CPL. You can't have a blood alcohol level exceeding .02 percent.

In MN you can carry into a bar but unlike ID and CO your BAC must be .04 or less. As a non drinker it doesn't matter to me as the chances of my drinking even one is astronomically low.

GA is you can be carrying but not drinking.

Law was enacted primarily so you could go to the local Steakhouse without disarming.

On a further note on PA, there are no limits to carry in a bar. The Pa list of prohibited places is very short and PA has a preemption law.

Okay, here's what I've found. Not sure it's 100% accurate, but I think it's pretty close. This is not a list of states that allow carry where alcohol is served because many of the 40 states that allow it have restrictions (like the 51% law in places like GA.) This list is of states that have NO restrictions on carrying around alcohol and at at the bottom list of states that allow drinking while carrying (all up to the legal driving limit)

N o Restrictions
AL
CO
CA
CT
DE
HI
IA
ID
IN
MA
MD
ME
MN
NH
NJ
NY
NV
OR
PA
RI
UT
VI
VT
WV

Drink while carrying
AL
CO
FL
ME
MI
NV
OR
PA
UT
VI

Well, technically speaking, Virginia, per Commonwealth law, does not have bars.

We have eating establishments that serve alcohol.

I didn't see Kansas on there. The only restriction is "If" the bar is posted with a "Gunbuster sign". You may drink but are subject to DUI laws and Must submitt to breathalizer if requested. Obviously drinking and guns don't play well but it is legal here.

"...carry in bars"

Virginia allows open carry in restaurants/bars if you don't drink alcohol.

With very few exceptions (owners, employees, cops, whatever) Virginia does not allow concealed carry in a place that serves beer, wine or liquor by the drink.

Go figure. Some members of the General Assembly are trying to improve things as we speak. Good luck to them. And us.

John

"...carry in bars"

Virginia allows open carry in restaurants/bars if you don't drink alcohol.

With very few exceptions (owners, employees, cops, whatever) Virginia does not allow concealed carry in a place that serves beer, wine or liquor by the drink.

Go figure. Some members of the General Assembly are trying to improve things as we speak. Good luck to them. And us.

John

You can open carry and drink in VA, you cannot become intoxicated. After the Gov. signs the bill and July 1 rolls around you will be allowed to conceal carry but not drink. I assume the open carry and drink option still remains. Restaurants, if on private property, can ban open or concealed carry if they wish.

Can you carry in a bar?

The original question from the OP is this - Can you carry in a bar?
Carrying while drinking or under the influence is a totally different situation.

So, BTT
I was advised by an attorney in Michigan that it is illegal to carry a gun into a bar unless you are the owner or an employee of that specific establishment.
I have read the code as well to make sure I understood the facts concerning me carrying my pistol in Michigan.
You may not carry in a bar, even if you have a concealed weapons license.
If it is a restaurant that serves alcohol you may either open carry or concealed carry as long as the restaurant is considered a food establishment and not a licquor establishment (bar)
Michigan generally has a 60/40 food to alcohol sales ratio as the basic deciding factor when the initial licquor license is issued. You can look up the statuates online if necessary.

I live in Idaho, and my children live in Michigan. So I made sure before I went there and got into trouble by mistake.

Last edited:
As an aside, from Virginia State patrol website:

"alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any.............any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit."

Alongside the law enforcement exemption...some concealed carry is already allowed in restaurants, in Virginia. Just not for the common customer.

Wiscon has no CC, only OPEN CARRY is legal. (fyi)

In WI we can not OPEN CARRY a handgun in to a bar, but OPEN CARRY of a long gun in to a bar is not illegal. -Goodspeed

hould also include data regarding drinking while carrying in those 'bars'.

In MI we can carry while in an establishment that makes a majority of its income from food (even though they sell booze). We ALSO have a 0.02 blood alcohol limit. Some say that limit is exceeded by a good dose of cough syrup??

Back